Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Yup. Nothing undemocratic about that there EU.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Good man. Brothers Water and Legburthwaite (Thirlmere) in May for us.
    Nice. I want to get up Helvellyn this time but not via Striding Edge.

Fúck. That.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Nice. I want to get up Helvellyn this time but not via Striding Edge.

Fúck. That.
    Go Swirrall Edge No bloody plastics and tourists cluttering the path up.

Go Swirrall Edge No bloody plastics and tourists cluttering the path up.
    Is there a nasty narrow bit to fall off?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Is there a nasty narrow bit to fall off?
    Erm, don't remember tbh. Which possibly means there isn't, as I recall some pooper flappage on other ridges, but it is called an edge, after all, and one can never be too sure. I actually found the worst bit of striding edge to be the final ascent, rather than the edge itself, but that was years ago and I was not as much of a scaredy cat on edges and ledges as I am now in my dotage.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I just think there wasn’t a single principled reason to vote Remain.
    There were reasons of fearfulness (after all, it’s called Project Fear because it works on the fearful); there were reasons of self-interest and convenience; and there were reasons of ideology (aka national self-loathing).
    Now I can perhaps sympathise with some of those feelings, but I can’t respect them. Ultimately, this is why I can’t help but feel a certain contempt for most people who voted Remain.

If we took your statement, replace the word remain with the word leave, replace the term project fear with the term lies and false expectations, you would have reality.
    "Scoring a goal is better than sex" - Whoever said that was sticking it to the wrong woman

Mate, you have to pay people to have sex with you
    Quote Originally Posted by Alberto Balsam Rodriguez View Post
    If we took your statement, replace the word remain with the word leave, replace the term project fear with the term lies and false expectations, you would have reality.
    We wouldn’t, though, since it is unarguable that - whatever its benefits - the EU is at the very least far less democratic and offers far less accountability than our pre-EU existence as a sovereign state. That is the fatal flaw of any pro-Remain argument.
    To vote against that - despite self-interest and despite the huge difficulties - is an act of principle.
    To vote against it in the vain hope of retaining a personally comfortable, but undemocratic status quo - is not.
    You made your choice. Don’t come bitching about it to those of us with functioning spines.

Erm, don't remember tbh. Which possibly means there isn't, as I recall some pooper flappage on other ridges, but it is called an edge, after all, and one can never be too sure. I actually found the worst bit of striding edge to be the final ascent, rather than the edge itself, but that was years ago and I was not as much of a scaredy cat on edges and ledges as I am now in my dotage.
    Maybe I’m not cut out for bagging wainwrights. Perhaps I’ll just wander about enjoy8ng the view.

We wouldn’t, though, since it is unarguable that - whatever its benefits - the EU is at the very least far less democratic and offers far less accountability than our pre-EU existence as a sovereign state. That is the fatal flaw of any pro-Remain argument.
    To vote against that - despite self-interest and despite the huge difficulties - is an act of principle.
    To vote against it in the vain hope of retaining a personally comfortable, but undemocratic status quo - is not.
    You made your choice. Don’t come bitching about it to those of us with functioning spines.
    People who make bad decisions always cite their staunchness, their unwaveringness. Like getting a facial tattoo. Sure, maybe it's badass getting one, maybe it's the right thing to do. (There are some subcultures in which it's approved and almost expected.) But you'll have a tough time getting a job as a bank teller after.

And this is essentially what your Brexit is. It's a tattoo on the face of the British nation.

The counter argument to that is that to sacrifice the sort of democracy that would provide us with more control of our borders, laws and money in order to ensure a higher standard of living and a more diverse, inclusive, multi-cultural experience for ourselves and our children is also an act of principle. You seem to mistake a lack of principle with holding different principles than you. And your definition of democracy seems to be involve British people only; there’s no room in your world for swarthy foreigners having a finger in your democratic world. Presumably this is another one of your principles; one shared by people like Nigel Farage and UKIP voters in places like Basildon.

You should be careful about invoking ‘principles’ in this argument, Burney, you risk people pointing out some of the less savoury principles associated with so many of the Leave voters.

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    The counter argument to that is that to sacrifice the sort of democracy that would provide us with more control of our borders, laws and money in order to ensure a higher standard of living and a more diverse, inclusive, multi-cultural experience for ourselves and our children is also an act of principle. You seem to mistake a lack of principle with holding different principles than you. And your definition of democracy seems to be involve British people only; there’s no room in your world for swarthy foreigners having a finger in your democratic world. Presumably this is another one of your principles; one shared by people like Nigel Farage and UKIP voters in places like Basildon.

You should be careful about invoking ‘principles’ in this argument, Burney, you risk people pointing out some of the less savoury principles associated with so many of the Leave voters.
    I'm no fan of the bloke, but Nigel Farage is pro-immigration, certainly to the extent that he believes we should still continue to allow significant numbers of immigrants coming into the country after Brexit