Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: So the revoke article 50 petition is now at 5.4mil and according to my casual

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    I'm playing devil's advocate here, but I heard on Radio 4 at the weekend that a poll showed that if the choice was between a no deal exit and Remain the public would vote strongly for Remain. If we were to reach that point (I don't think we will) there is an argument to be made that if those are the only two choices the government should go back to the public.

Personally, if those were the two choices I would almost prefer a no deal exit. Mostly because my view is that there is no human being involved in this debacle for whom I have less respect than someone who voted Leave but does not support a no deal exit. I can't imagine a more spineless, cowardly, pathetic excuse for a human being than one who insists on leaving the EU but only if they continue to experience the majority of the benefits of the EU.

C*nt is too mild a word for this sort of vermin.
    That makes no sense, I'm afraid. Why would remain still be an option having already been democratically rejected in 2016? The fact that we are where we are is a function of our executive and legislature's collective incompetence. Why should leave voters who expected competence be disenfranchised for that?

I'm playing devil's advocate here, but I heard on Radio 4 at the weekend that a poll showed that if the choice was between a no deal exit and Remain the public would vote strongly for Remain. If we were to reach that point (I don't think we will) there is an argument to be made that if those are the only two choices the government should go back to the public.

Personally, if those were the two choices I would almost prefer a no deal exit. Mostly because my view is that there is no human being involved in this debacle for whom I have less respect than someone who voted Leave but does not support a no deal exit. I can't imagine a more spineless, cowardly, pathetic excuse for a human being than one who insists on leaving the EU but only if they continue to experience the majority of the benefits of the EU.

Well to turn this around in another referendum, the people being called racist, thick, 'gammons' and vermin, who voted to leave, would have to be won over by the people who are calling them racist, thick, 'gammons' and vermin.

Not the greatest of strategies imo
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post
    Well to turn this around in another referendum, the people being called racist, thick, 'gammons' and vermin, who voted to leave, would have to be won over by the people who are calling them racist, thick, 'gammons' and vermin.

Not the greatest of strategies imo
    Yup. That's why they're looking to stitch up the vote as 'Remain vs Remain'.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    That makes no sense, I'm afraid. Why would remain still be an option having already been democratically rejected in 2016? The fact that we are where we are is a function of our executive and legislature's collective incompetence. Why should leave voters who expected competence be disenfranchised for that?
    That assumes that Leave voters are willing to accept a no deal exit - the premise was that if they aren't and that is the only Leave option available etc etc

Not that it really matters of course because I can't see no deal happening. What I can see happening is parliament taking control of the process - somehow - and accepting a watered down version of Brexit that crosses almost all of May's red lines. It will be amusing to see what the ERG has to say at that point.

This really is very good fun, I don't think I've ever paid as much attention to politics. It's like a play that no one would write because no one would think it believable.

Indeed. Although there has long been talk that they were actually right that time. Labouring the point was just considered not worth the effort, as the "goal" was achieved. Or as our learned Yankee friend might put it, there are some rabbit holes one does not want to go down

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Two or three million people for the first protest against the Iraq war. Speaking of which, many of the people that lied about that have their pants on fire again right now....
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Can everyone please calm the fúck down? Bellowing cretinous gobshítery may be all the rage, but it doesn't help anyone and it's boring

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Can everyone please calm the fúck down? Bellowing cretinous gobshítery may be all the rage, but it doesn't help anyone and it's boring
    You are aware this is AWIMB, are you Dutchie?

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Goat Sverige View Post
    I’m coming around to the idea of another referendum just to see their reaction when leave wins again.
    That would of course be utterly hilarious

Quote Originally Posted by 7sisters View Post
    Impressive turnout, all the same. Central London hasn't witnessed that many white middle class people on it's streets since around 1974.
    Queen's Jubilee had more

Quote Originally Posted by PSRB View Post
    Queen's Jubilee had more
    I found a silver jubilee coin in a drawer the other week.

It is only 'worth' a fiver.

It probably cost that in 1977.
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”