Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: There are a million videos on youtube showing you how to cook every dish

There are a million videos on youtube showing you how to cook every dish

imaginable. You'd imagine that, having decided to go to the trouble of filming a recipe, the chefs in question would ensure that they have a clue about what they're doing. This is rarely the case.

Most frequent is the misuse of olive oil. I've just watched someone heat a frying pan until it's smoking hot, then pour in a tablespoon of olive oil, which of course immediately became burned and bitter, but better still, the **** then added a load of garlic, which instantly... you know the score.

It was easy to learn to cook, back in the day. You did what Delia told you, and Delia never gave you a bum steer. These days I pity anyone trying to learn from tinternet. It's full of charlatans.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    imaginable. You'd imagine that, having decided to go to the trouble of filming a recipe, the chefs in question would ensure that they have a clue about what they're doing. This is rarely the case.

Most frequent is the misuse of olive oil. I've just watched someone heat a frying pan until it's smoking hot, then pour in a tablespoon of olive oil, which of course immediately became burned and bitter, but better still, the **** then added a load of garlic, which instantly... you know the score.

It was easy to learn to cook, back in the day. You did what Delia told you, and Delia never gave you a bum steer. These days I pity anyone trying to learn from tinternet. It's full of charlatans.
    But both Delia and the Beeb have online recipes. I know they don't have videos but you know, some people can still read and write.

Also, there are some great recipes in French. They can cook, you know, the frogs. Try oeufs en meurette but with little crutons with foie gras.

I'm cooking for us both tonight. The old classic. Tournedos fillets with roquefort sauce + gratin dauphinoise with balsmaic caramelised onions. And for a change, some garlic mushrooms too, cos I fancy some.

Bought a fresh baguette simply so I can dip it in the roquefort sauce as I cook it. Just to make sure the sauce is coming on fine, you understand. Not cos I'm a vulgar glutton that could quite happily live on fresh baguette dipped into various french cheese sauces. {My mate's fondue last month was as good as any I've had.}

Strongly considering one of these https://www.t3.com/news/thermomix-tm6

Quote Originally Posted by PSRB View Post
    Strongly considering one of these https://www.t3.com/news/thermomix-tm6
    I remain skeptical about gadgets, p. I fear you'll love it for a fortnight and then put it ina cupboard where it will rot away.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    But both Delia and the Beeb have online recipes. I know they don't have videos but you know, some people can still read and write.

Also, there are some great recipes in French. They can cook, you know, the frogs. Try oeufs en meurette but with little crutons with foie gras.

I'm cooking for us both tonight. The old classic. Tournedos fillets with roquefort sauce + gratin dauphinoise with balsmaic caramelised onions. And for a change, some garlic mushrooms too, cos I fancy some.

Bought a fresh baguette simply so I can dip it in the roquefort sauce as I cook it. Just to make sure the sauce is coming on fine, you understand. Not cos I'm a vulgar glutton that could quite happily live on fresh baguette dipped into various french cheese sauces. {My mate's fondue last month was as good as any I've had.}
    The Beeb doesn't give you sexy Vietnamese girls teaching you to make banh mi.

Plus, how very, very dare you! My oeufs en meurette are famous from here to Foots Cray and beyond! The secret is the quality of the wine. Only a heavy Burgundy will do.

I remain skeptical about gadgets, p. I fear you'll love it for a fortnight and then put it ina cupboard where it will rot away.
    I'm rather hopeful (as per the blurb) that it will enable me to put the other gadgets away (sell) and just have that one (and the Kitchenaid) on show

Only a heavy Burgundy will do.
    You best not sip any of it on a schoolnight, sc.

:lightweight:
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

I'm rather hopeful (as per the blurb) that it will enable me to put the other gadgets away (sell) and just have that one (and the Kitchenaid) on show
    Do you just throw in the ingredients and it spits out a meal in [insert time here] minutes?
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

There are three gadgets in my kitchen. Kettle, toaster and coffee machine.

The Beeb doesn't give you sexy Vietnamese girls teaching you to make banh mi.

Plus, how very, very dare you! My oeufs en meurette are famous from here to Foots Cray and beyond! The secret is the quality of the wine. Only a heavy Burgundy will do.
    But do you have foie gras crutons? Of course you'd use a heavy burgundy - the dish is from there and you're making a sauce.

But you really need to make the crutons by spreading foie gras thickly onto a slice of toast and then cutting into cruton size.

Little nibbles of joy in the midst of the dish.