Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I always thought the Speaker's role was simply that of a chairman of the

I always thought the Speaker's role was simply that of a chairman of the

debate. But now, in addition to braying like a depraved mule, the old sex-caser appears to be having some considerable impact on our nation's history. I am a remainer but the idea of scuppering the vote by stealth in this way leaves me very uncomfortable.

There is going to be a GE and Diana Abbott will be Home Secretary God help us. Expect bizarre new laws to implement thought policing. How about, for example, it being an offence to publicly suggest that any of the blame for Hillsborough falls on the scousers rather than the whole thing being entirely the fault of the police. I'm sort of only half joking here

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert Augustus Chapman View Post
    debate. But now, in addition to braying like a depraved mule, the old sex-caser appears to be having some considerable impact on our nation's history. I am a remainer but the idea of scuppering the vote by stealth in this way leaves me very uncomfortable.

There is going to be a GE and Diana Abbott will be Home Secretary God help us. Expect bizarre new laws to implement thought policing. How about, for example, it being an offence to publicly suggest that any of the blame for Hillsborough falls on the scousers rather than the whole thing being entirely the fault of the police. I'm sort of only half joking here
    Ms. Abbot is a nice person, but not a future Home Sec.

Bercow has told May to stop wasting everybody's ****ing time and sort out a deal her party can support. Seems like good advice and one that might lead to Brexit.

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert Augustus Chapman View Post

Yes. Almost as if membership of an anti-democratic technocracy has profoundly undermined our democratic processes and institutions and utterly corrupted our political representatives, innit?

The penny fùcking drops. Fùckssake!

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Yes. Almost as if membership of an anti-democratic technocracy has profoundly undermined our democratic processes and institutions and utterly corrupted our political representatives, innit?

The penny fùcking drops. Fùckssake!
    This is a mess entirely made in the Tory party. Aside from the obvious connection, it has nothing to do with the EU. It is quite simply a lack of political wherewithal at virtually every step.

Quote Originally Posted by AFC East View Post
    This is a mess entirely made in the Tory party. Aside from the obvious connection, it has nothing to do with the EU. It is quite simply a lack of political wherewithal at virtually every step.
    We have a similar problem over here. (AFC East, I expect you live in some New England sh!thole?) We have incumbent Republicans. But they do not fully embrace replacing the US of A with an updated version of the Spanish Inquisition. "The Potomac Inquisition," if you like.

That's what I would do, were I them.

No. It is a mess created by the members of parliament.

If the political parties and their members hadn't have weaponised Brexit and used it for personal and political party gains, and instead used that energy to find a deal, we'd be sailing out of the EU into the (some kind of) sunset.

Agreed, the EU have to do fúck all, really, as they hold the stronger cards.
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Horseshít. By abdicating responsibility for vast swathes of our legislative processes to an unelected foreign bureaucracy, we have degraded the quality and ability of our parliamentarians to the point where they are unable to legislate effectively, display a truly pathetic grasp of policy detail and have lost all respect for their offices and for their democratic responsibilities, traditions, precedents and duties.

Parliament has, by inches, been separated from the people to such an extent that there is now a vast and unbridgeable gulf between them. We consequently have parliamentarians whose first loyalty is not to this country but to Brussels and a speaker who has now chosen to breach the single most important aspect of his role - impartiality - in order to aid the cause of a hostile foreign power against an elected and Royally-appointed government.

And this is not a Tory problem. This is a democracy problem - a voter problem. The fact that people can spout the former without realising the latter is rather at the heart of the matter.

Ms. Abbot is a nice person, but not a future Home Sec.

Bercow has told May to stop wasting everybody's ****ing time and sort out a deal her party can support. Seems like good advice and one that might lead to Brexit.
    A divisive, racist race-baiter, yes. A 'nice person', no. Very much no.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Horseshít. By abdicating responsibility for vast swathes of our legislative processes to an unelected foreign bureaucracy, we have degraded the quality and ability of our parliamentarians to the point where they are unable to legislate effectively, display a truly pathetic grasp of policy detail and have lost all respect for their offices and for their democratic responsibilities, traditions, precedents and duties.

Parliament has, by inches, been separated from the people to such an extent that there is now a vast and unbridgeable gulf between them. We consequently have parliamentarians whose first loyalty is not to this country but to Brussels and a speaker who has now chosen to breach the single most important aspect of his role - impartiality - in order to aid the cause of a hostile foreign power against an elected and Royally-appointed government.

And this is not a Tory problem. This is a democracy problem - a voter problem. The fact that people can spout the former without realising the latter is rather at the heart of the matter.
    Dear God, you're unhinged.

There are many theories on why we have such a woeful callibre of politician nowadays compared to the latter half of the C20th. But EU membership isn't one of them.

If you think any MP's loyalty to the EU is more than their loyalty to their own interests, their party and their consituents, let alone to their country you're deranged. But that's because you can't see the blindingly obvious - that a great many MPs believe EU membership to be in the interests of their constituents and the nation as a whole.

And why is it you lot only describe Brussels bureaucrats as unelected, never our own ones?

The irony of this whole fiasco being down to the red lines drawn up not by our elected representatives but by Nick'n'Fi, two unelected bureaucrats, is delicious.

And if you don't think the speaker should uphold constitutional precedence, then how do you think things should work? Make it up on the fly? The Brexiters have tried that for the last 2-3 years and it doesn't look like the best way to do things, imo.

You talk about impartiality but you're now in the stage where you are twisting everything to be seen through the prism of your views on Brexit. Not healthy.

If a speaker had used this to stop a Lab govt. doing something you hated, you'd be raising a glass to King James VI/I and telling us all that this is why we're better than foreigners with no history and their silly, continental written constitutions.

I think the point is that the colossal self ****ing that Brexit has become was architected by your friends In the Conservative party who have held office throughout the whole debacle.

I seem to recall the day after the vote you were quite pleased, smugly so, with those you now rail against as traitors. We had, in a moment, regained our self respect and sovereignty, and Brussels would shortly be offering a smorgasbord of inducements to us to remain which we would politely decline as we made a dignified exit because, apparently, we held all the aces.

We would be massively wealthier from day one of our leaving in addition to entering lucrative new trade deals with Ghana and Brazil (America was included initially but your mate Trump fúcked us off).