Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: I went into a record shop today.

I went into a record shop today.

Browsing the numerous racks of the new, hefty vinyl took me back decades. I might have to get a gramophone! :yourenotsinginganymorejorge:

Some bloke called Paul Weller has just released a double album with a picture of a bloke sitting in an armchair and smoking!. IN 2019! It's like nostalgia turned up to eleven.

They didn't have Dark Side of the Moon in though, which kind-of defeats the point of a record shop imo.

Seriously though, it's nice to witness a revival of music products you can actually see and feel as well as hear.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Browsing the numerous racks of the new, hefty vinyl took me back decades. I might have to get a gramophone! :yourenotsinginganymorejorge:

Some bloke called Paul Weller has just released a double album with a picture of a bloke sitting in an armchair and smoking!. IN 2019! It's like nostalgia turned up to eleven.

They didn't have Dark Side of the Moon in though, which kind-of defeats the point of a record shop imo.

Seriously though, it's nice to witness a revival of music products you can actually see and feel as well as hear.
    Paul Weller has twin sons called John Paul and Bowie.

Just let that sink in for a moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Paul Weller has twin sons called John Paul and Bowie.

Just let that sink in for a moment.
    I didn't know he was catholic.

And a Daughter called Dylan
    10 characters? Pile of cund.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva Prat Vegas View Post
    And a Daughter called Dylan
    Listen, if we're going to put the (well-deserved) boot into the Wizened Wizard of Woking, can we at least wait until sw pitches up?

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post

I think we had this conversation years ago, Ash, but the big mystery is why The Jam never found success/recognition/awareness across the pond. Other, some would say lesser, groups did from that era. I believe my thoughtful answer at the time was "Too Bloody English". I stick by that, although there are examples to refute. I'm looking at you Morrissey.

Along those lines, why The Rolling Stone and The Beatles but not The Kinks? Musical success it not altogether attached to musical proficiency and prowess. Look at Ringo. Luck is a pervasive intangible.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Arrowhead View Post
    I think we had this conversation years ago, Ash, but the big mystery is why The Jam never found success/recognition/awareness across the pond. Other, some would say lesser, groups did from that era. I believe my thoughtful answer at the time was "Too Bloody English". I stick by that, although there are examples to refute. I'm looking at you Morrissey.

Along those lines, why The Rolling Stone and The Beatles but not The Kinks? Musical success it not altogether attached to musical proficiency and prowess. Look at Ringo. Luck is a pervasive intangible.
    Are we sure it wasn't anything to do with Weller being a thoroughgoing cùnt?

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Arrowhead View Post

Ah, The Kinks. One of my very favourites of the 60s. After The Fabs.

Basically they were banned from the States - ostensibly for their onstage fighting (Dave was taking the piss out of Mick Avery who whirled a cymbal at him, hit his head and nearly took it off (just 15 stitches)). There was also the matter of concern about the British invasion from local acts and the Musicians Union, wanting to set an example, went after them because the Beatles were too big to touch but the Kinks were the second biggest at the time.

After that they did go very English, partly as a reaction - and did Village Green Preservation Society - now one of their most acclaimed albums. It was that Englishness which influenced The Jam, and later the Britpop acts. They did practically invent the distorted guitar sound though.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Are we sure it wasn't anything to do with Weller being a thoroughgoing cùnt?
    Steady on now. Now need to go overboard.