Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: ELwimb. Why do some games start at 5.55 and others at 8.00?

ELwimb. Why do some games start at 5.55 and others at 8.00?

Why on earth do they do that?

I get it that they need different times if you're playing Dyamo Vladivostok, but AFC-Rennes has been on at both Times for no reason.

5.55 last week means most won't get back home in time to watch it all.

And 8pm tonight means the game won't end in France until 11pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    Why on earth do they do that?

I get it that they need different times if you're playing Dyamo Vladivostok, but AFC-Rennes has been on at both Times for no reason.

5.55 last week means most won't get back home in time to watch it all.

And 8pm tonight means the game won't end in France until 11pm.
    Telly, innit. Bloody stupid kicking games off when people are still at work but that's filthy lucre for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Telly, innit. Bloody stupid kicking games off when people are still at work but that's filthy lucre for you.
    Do people really wanna watch 2EL ties? I mean, footie junkies had had the ECL for 2 days.

I wouldn't stay in watch the Chelsea game if it was on directly after the Arsenal one.

And most tv sports groups have lots of channels, so it's no big deal if two teams from the same country are on at the same time.

It's a joke that game in the UK start before people can get to ground after work and that games in Europe coud see penaties for well after 11.30.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    Do people really wanna watch 2EL ties? I mean, footie junkies had had the ECL for 2 days.

I wouldn't stay in watch the Chelsea game if it was on directly after the Arsenal one.

And most tv sports groups have lots of channels, so it's no big deal if two teams from the same country are on at the same time.

It's a joke that game in the UK start before people can get to ground after work and that games in Europe coud see penaties for well after 11.30.
    I always imagine that when matches finish late in Europe the debonair locals wander out of the stadium and sit for a while at a pavement café, enjoying a coffee and a cognac before returning to their stylish city centre apartments, all light wood flooring and minimalist furniture, where their wives, human rights lawyers all, cook dishes of pasta in carefully lit kitchens whilst drinking red wine out of huge goblets. Afterwards, they retire to bed and enjoy enthusiastic and athletic but respectful intercourse.

It's more glamourous up the foreigns.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    I always imagine that when matches finish late in Europe the debonair locals wander out of the stadium and sit for a while at a pavement café, enjoying a coffee and a cognac before returning to their stylish city centre apartments, all light wood flooring and minimalist furniture, where their wives, human rights lawyers all, cook dishes of pasta in carefully lit kitchens whilst drinking red wine out of huge goblets. Afterwards, they retire to bed and enjoy enthusiastic and athletic but respectful intercourse.

It's more glamourous up the foreigns.
    Y

Yeah, it's fine for sophisticated foreigns, C. But me, if I go and watch the game tonight, I want to pick up a few cans of 8.6 (European Special Brew) on the way back.

But the supermarket just over the road from your bar, and on my direct route home, stops selling booze at 11pm.

Yes, I could go to the night shop near where I'm staying but it's 40% more expensive and adds a couple of mins to my journey.

All because of silly telly times.

Y

Yeah, it's fine for sophisticated foreigns, C. But me, if I go and watch the game tonight, I want to pick up a few cans of 8.6 (European Special Brew) on the way back.

But the supermarket just over the road from your bar, and on my direct route home, stops selling booze at 11pm.

Yes, I could go to the night shop near where I'm staying but it's 40% more expensive and adds a couple of mins to my journey.

All because of silly telly times.
    I am disappointed, g. I imagined you going to the bordel, to sip a glass of absinthe watching your muse take up erotic poses to your order.

Back in 5.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    I am disappointed, g. I imagined you going to the bordel, to sip a glass of absinthe watching your muse take up erotic poses to your order.

Back in 5.
    I'm afraid I've been living with my muse for 20 years. And you can't get absinthe any more. I've tried.

But staying with mates from the very first free sound system in France means that I can get very good deals on many other substances that can mash you up far more than a bottle of absinthe, so it's not the end of the world.