Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: When Wembley Park was ... a park.

When Wembley Park was ... a park.

Some nice ole pix here, including pre-deco Highbury and the Manor Ground:

https://londonist.com/london/history...tball-stadiums

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post

Some nice ole pix here, including pre-deco Highbury and the Manor Ground:

https://londonist.com/london/history...tball-stadiums
    Oo lovely. Was thinking of Highbury this morning - Barney Ronay said " Their former home, Highbury, had something spiky and nasty about it." Not in the latter years I would say

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Oo lovely. Was thinking of Highbury this morning - Barney Ronay said " Their former home, Highbury, had something spiky and nasty about it." Not in the latter years I would say
    It all went to pot when they built that abortion on the Clock End. There was a nastiness about the old Clock End and the animals who stood on it. Then they gave them a roof, and seats, and emasculated them.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    It could feel very small and enclosed in a funny sort of way. On a good night it could feel like 40,000-odd people were crammed into a space designed for about half as many.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    It could feel very small and enclosed in a funny sort of way. On a good night it could feel like 40,000-odd people were crammed into a space designed for about half as many.
    Back in the standing days I guess - I only started going when "trouble" was on the wane. I did lose a shoe on the North Bank once though

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    It all went to pot when they built that abortion on the Clock End. There was a nastiness about the old Clock End and the animals who stood on it. Then they gave them a roof, and seats, and emasculated them.
    All seater stadia

Took the heart out of the place.
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post
    All seater stadia

Took the heart out of the place.
    Before they built those north/south fences across the Clock End, sometimes from the North Bank you'd watch the fighting moving from one side to the other, advance and retreat as the battle ebbed and flowed... good timez.

Before they built those north/south fences across the Clock End, sometimes from the North Bank you'd watch the fighting moving from one side to the other, advance and retreat as the battle ebbed and flowed... good timez.
    Fairly wild on the terraces back then, when you think about it.

It was simply, normal, at the time.

At least when the fighting was pushed back out on the streets you could eat your pasty/pie with only half a worry it would be knocked out of your hand, when previously it would 100% happen.
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post
    Fairly wild on the terraces back then, when you think about it.

It was simply, normal, at the time.

At least when the fighting was pushed back out on the streets you could eat your pasty/pie with only half a worry it would be knocked out of your hand, when previously it would 100% happen.
    But of course society was much more violent in general. It's unimaginable now that you could get beaten up in the street for liking the wrong type of music. Or just walking into the environs of a skinhead.

Today's nancyboy snowflakes wouldn't last 5 minutes on the streets of 1970s London.

And preferable to watching what was happening on the actual pitch, I suppose.