Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does anyone understand the physics of why a ball swings like that?

Does anyone understand the physics of why a ball swings like that?

I thought I got how a football moved depdening on which part of the foot you hit it with.

But I don't get why a ball starts off being an inswinger, changes its mind mid-flightand ends up an outswinger.

And this is happening far more regularly nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    I thought I got how a football moved depdening on which part of the foot you hit it with.

But I don't get why a ball starts off being an inswinger, changes its mind mid-flightand ends up an outswinger.

Clearly picking the seam, gg

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post

At one point, Jamie Redknapp appeared to suggest it was due to a freak gust of wind.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Have we checked their pockets for sandpaper?

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Have we checked their pockets for sandpaper?
    No, but I did see Unai handing out jelly babies to the wing backs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    No, but I did see Unai handing out jelly babies to the wing backs.
    I've just imagined him trying to say 'jelly babies' and it's made me chuckle.

Oddly enough, I've always said that one of the things one could do to limit ball tampering in cricket is outlaw pockets on cricket flannels.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    I was genuinely thinking that it might be to do this these new balls having different seams or something.

Have you never played football?

When you hit the ball sweetly the ball doesn't have a high spin rate.
    Spin on the ball give it a predictable ball flight.

When it doesn't spin (or has a low spin rate) the ball flight is erratic - I assume wind resistance plays a part.
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Tyler: We will cross to Jamie now who has a bit of extra insight.

Jamie: Well this is how De Gea will have seen it. He has moved to his left and the ball has gone to his right.

How much does he get paid for that?

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    Tyler: We will cross to Jamie now who has a bit of extra insight.

Jamie: Well this is how De Gea will have seen it. He has moved to his left and the ball has gone to his right.

How much does he get paid for that?
    He seems a nice enough chap, Redknapp, but I'm pretty sure that nothing that you or I might describe as a thought has ever caused a ripple on the mill-pond surface of his consciousness.
    Seriously, I've had household pets that seemed more capable of abstract thought.