Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: This morning on Radio 4 I listened to two leading scientists saying that men

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Default setting for all Plantagenets, to be sure.
    I've always had a soft spot for Henry II, Edward I was excellent at thrashing the Celts, while Edward III's run of victories against the French endears him to one, but generally you're right: a bad lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I've always had a soft spot for Henry II, Edward I was excellent at thrashing the Celts, while Edward III's run of victories against the French endears him to one, but generally you're right: a bad lot.
    That bloody Becket just wanted the church to be above the law, after all.

He also burned the real Falstaff - Sir John Oldcastle - alive in a metal cage just for being a Lollard.

I'd call that pretty rude.

In fact, Henry V was a proper nasty b@stard.
    Indeed - even allowing for the "don't judge people by modern standards, judge by the time etc", he was an absolute **** for his day. Mostly to French people tbf

That bloody Becket just wanted the church to be above the law, after all.
    Exactly. And he was drinking and whoring with Henry right up until he made him ArchB of C and then he goes all holier-than-thou and hair-shirted. Prick. Can't abide him. Deserved everything he got.

He also burned the real Falstaff - Sir John Oldcastle - alive in a metal cage just for being a Lollard.
    And did he LOL 'ard?

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Indeed - even allowing for the "don't judge people by modern standards, judge by the time etc", he was an absolute **** for his day. Mostly to French people tbf
    The Hundred Years War were no church picnic and the chevauchée generally wasn't for the squeamish, but you get the distinct impression Hal liked it all a bit too much.

And did he LOL 'ard?
    No. He screamed for a good long time, apparently. It was distinctly banter-free.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Yup. The occupation of Paris under him after Agincourt makes the Warsaw Ghetto look like Butlins, but all accounts.*

{*Some bloke off In Our Time, and I don't think he used those exact words, but said it was despicable, even by the standards of late-medieval warfare.}

No. He screamed for a good long time, apparently. It was distinctly banter-free.
    Basically a real-life grown-up Joffrey

It was his own fault. Only a muppet would bother trying to have a Reformation without waiting for the printing press to be invented first.