Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: This morning on Radio 4 I listened to two leading scientists saying that men

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Vaccines are a classic example. Mind you, I maintain this whole thing started with Freud and his ridiculous pseudo-science that appeals to hysterics, attention-seekers and narcissists.
    Now the whole concept of evidence-based reasoning is under attack and we're too weak to defend it. We are in serious danger of regressing.
    I'm hopeful that the pendulum will swing the other way, albeit more slowly than it seemed to swing away from truth.

Quote Originally Posted by AFC East View Post
    I'm hopeful that the pendulum will swing the other way, albeit more slowly than it seemed to swing away from truth.
    I genuinely wish there could be a societal return to stoicism. The stiff upper lip culture is much-derided these days, but by God it stopped people bleating about their fùcking feelings - and that alone is a good thing.

I genuinely wish there could be a societal return to stoicism. The stiff upper lip culture is much-derided these days, but by God it stopped people bleating about their fùcking feelings - and that alone is a good thing.
    It worked both ways though, didn’t it? I mean people weren’t endlessly offended, but then again they were generally treated decently by people with manners.

When I look at what is written here about Emery, for example, I yearn for an age of simple good manners and respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    It worked both ways though, didn’t it? I mean people weren’t endlessly offended, but then again they were generally treated decently by people with manners.

When I look at what is written here about Emery, for example, I yearn for an age of simple good manners and respect.
    Mainly that Ganpati lad.

Seems a nice lad otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    Mainly that Ganpati lad.

Seems a nice lad otherwise.
    I just wish everyone could be nice.

Your soul is pretty black but that’s genetic. Nothing you can do about it. It’s civilised people being rude that really upsets me.

Hang on, now. Emery is a foreigner. As a nation, it is our birthright to be rude about foreigners.

Hang on, now. Emery is a foreigner. As a nation, it is our birthright to be rude about foreigners.
    Consider the Great Englishmen of history: Henry V, Horacio Nelson, Winston Churchill, Sir Willie, Lord Hague. None of them would be rude about any man.

Consider the Great Englishmen of history: Henry V, Horacio Nelson, Winston Churchill, Sir Willie, Lord Hague. None of them would be rude about any man.
    Young Hal bantering off Falstaff:

"Thou art so fat-witted, with drinking of old sack
    and unbuttoning thee after supper and sleeping upon
    benches after noon, that thou hast forgotten to
    demand that truly which thou wouldst truly know."

Fictitiously, admittedly.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Young Hal bantering off Falstaff:

"Thou art so fat-witted, with drinking of old sack
    and unbuttoning thee after supper and sleeping upon
    benches after noon, that thou hast forgotten to
    demand that truly which thou wouldst truly know."

Fictitiously, admittedly.
    He also burned the real Falstaff - Sir John Oldcastle - alive in a metal cage just for being a Lollard.

I'd call that pretty rude.

In fact, Henry V was a proper nasty b@stard.

In fact, Henry V was a proper nasty b@stard.
    Default setting for all Plantagenets, to be sure.