Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Team being abused at the airport last night. You really have to ask

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    Oh, I totally agree.

I can send you the top academic article on that, if you want. By David Eltis, who produced a CD-rom in the '90s featuring every single slave voyage as a database.

He said the UK in 1834-40 became the first society in human history to confer non-enslavable "insider" status on the whole of humanity.

It's a great article to be able to cite if you wanna wind up lefties.

In the two WWs we were acting in our national interests - the same two that have guided our FP since Liz I. Namely making sure at least some of the channel ports were in friendly hands and stopping one power dominating the continent.

The fact that we happened to lose our empire as a result doesn't mean this was a magnanamous gesture.
    That rather depends on your concept of 'national interest'. I would argue that in both wars we could theoretically have come to an accommodation with our despotic foes that would have saved us an awful of of blood and treasure. However, our political system, sense of ourselves, public opinion, the nature of our enemies and various other honourable factors made that impossible and drove us to make war despite the cost. That is not a magnanimous gesture, but it is a function of our civilisation and one that served the world well.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    ty g, I’ll definitely order that. Despite the spoilers.
    Oh, sorry, mate. Didn't think.

You will love it though. Do you remember the mil historian Richard Holmes? He wrote a book, Sepoy, about the British Ind army. He was the one who said in the intro that there's only this book as the only primary source written by a native soldier.

So he's warning readers that we have to hope SRP is representative of the average Indian soldier. But it's in such simple English, having been translated by Northgate that you'll read it in no time.

Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    Oh, sorry, mate. Didn't think.

You will love it though. Do you remember the mil historian Richard Holmes? He wrote a book, Sepoy, about the British Ind army. He was the one who said in the intro that there's only this book as the only primary source written by a native soldier.

So he's warning readers that we have to hope SRP is representative of the average Indian soldier. But it's in such simple English, having been translated by Northgate that you'll read it in no time.

Enjoy.
    Are you suggesting that Sir C has difficulty reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Are you suggesting that Sir C has difficulty reading?
    It’s a bit harsh, isn’t it? What evidence does he have for calling me educationally subnormal?

That rather depends on your concept of 'national interest'. I would argue that in both wars we could theoretically have come to an accommodation with our despotic foes that would have saved us an awful of of blood and treasure. However, our political system, sense of ourselves, public opinion, the nature of our enemies and various other honourable factors made that impossible and drove us to make war despite the cost. That is not a magnanimous gesture, but it is a function of our civilisation and one that served the world well.
    Disagree.

But before I go on, as I may have to go out in a sec, here's that Eltis slavery article:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bk9nebd6np...avery.pdf?dl=1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bk9nebd6np...avery.pdf?dl=1

But in WW1, had we not fought one of two things would have happened.

1. (Unlikely) Fr and Rus win. But now we are friendless. Why shouldn't Rus attack Ind? Why should France keep guarding our sea route to Ind via the Med as they'd been doing since 1912?

2. (Likely) Germany wins. I take it you've read the September Programme of the victor's peace they intended to impose when they expected a qick victory in Sept '14? The whole of Europe in their customs union, UK excluded from the market, Belg annexed, NL effectively annexed, Fr channel and industrial area annexed.

So we'd have lost those two planks of FP - friendly channel ports and no power dominating the continent.

And in the Sept Prog, even though we're a belligerent, we're the only country not mentioned. Why? Because they intended to use the resources of the continent to build a massive navy, invade and steal our empire.

You're on stronger ground with WW2, but not fully. Gotta go now. But you are completely wrong about the consequences of us staying out in Aug '14. Totally, totally wrong.

It’s a bit harsh, isn’t it? What evidence does he have for calling me educationally subnormal?
    Your lust for Karen Danczuk?

I recall this being quite the insult back at school.

One may whisper "ESN" under one's breath in class as a chum got an answer wrong and was perhaps just after receiving a clip around the ear or ruler edge across the knuckle.

Of course given that you suggest subnormal to be one word the joke was actually on us, the perps.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    I recall this being quite the insult back at school.

One may whisper "ESN" under one's breath in class as a chum got an answer wrong and was perhaps just after receiving a clip around the ear or ruler edge across the knuckle.

Of course given that you suggest subnormal to be one word the joke was actually on us, the perps.
    What of 'spaz', 'flid', 'mong', sw? Were these not current. We also had 'remmy' to suggest you belonged in remedial class.

What of 'spaz', 'flid', 'mong', sw? Were these not current. We also had 'remmy' to suggest you belonged in remedial class.
    Yes I recall "flid" though the timeless classics, sadly lost in the modern world, were the simple references of Joey Deacon (shortened to Joey) and Gaylord neither of which had any comeback.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    Yes I recall "flid" though the timeless classics, sadly lost in the modern world, were the simple references of Joey Deacon (shortened to Joey) and Gaylord neither of which had any comeback.
    One mourns the loss of jewbag, accompanied by a hooked index finger being drawn down the nose, to describe someone mean.