Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: On the plus side it really does show just how bad a job Mourinho was doing

Easier job now though? What, with Ronaldo gone, Messi not getting any younger..

Unai said the other day that essentially the modern professional football manager suffers because he cannot tolerate sharing the limelight, even with his own superstar players.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Real are going to take some time to get back to the level they were though. He'll get **** straight away (but more money)
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Agreed.

But, footballistically, any defender turning his back in that situation is simply asking for it. And they know it and they're just trying it on.

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    In addition to football and PSG, the other loser last night was VAR.

I've never been a fan for a variety of reasons but last night perfectly highlighted one of them. How in f*ck's name can it be deliberate when your arm is in a natural position, your back is turned and there is no motion towards the ball?

Unbelievable.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    Easier job now though? What, with Ronaldo gone, Messi not getting any younger..

Unai said the other day that essentially the modern professional football manager suffers because he cannot tolerate sharing the limelight, even with his own superstar players.
    Depends on who they buy really. They (well Mourinho and Perez) would need a Galactico plus a whole lot more, yet they are spending 500 million on a roof - all a bit bizarre really

I've never been a fan for a variety of reasons but last night perfectly highlighted one of them. How in f*ck's name can it be deliberate when your arm is in a natural position, your back is turned and there is no motion towards the ball?

Unbelievable.
    Indeed.

113 Handling the ball

Handling the ball involves a deliberate act of a player making contact with the ball with his hand or arm.

The referee must take the following into consideration:
    • the movement of the hand towards the ball (not the ball towards the hand)
    • the distance between the opponent and the ball (unexpected ball)
    • the position of the hand does not necessarily mean that there is an infringement
    • touching the ball with an object held in the hand (clothing, shinguard, etc.) counts as an infringement
    • hitting the ball with a thrown object (boot, shinguard, etc.) counts as an infringement

oh yes, deffo pelanty. not even sure why VAR was necessary
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post
    Indeed.

113 Handling the ball

Handling the ball involves a deliberate act of a player making contact with the ball with his hand or arm.

• the position of the hand does not necessarily mean that there is an infringement
    • touching the ball with an object held in the hand (clothing, shinguard, etc.) counts as an infringement
    • hitting the ball with a thrown object (boot, shinguard, etc.) counts as an infringement

I would guess they wouild argue that turning your back to the ball is an un-natural position so hitting your arm/hand in that case would mean a pen.... looking forward to 50% more pens next season and ganes lasting 115 minutes
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pokster View Post
    I would guess they wouild argue that turning your back to the ball is an un-natural position so hitting your arm/hand in that case would mean a pen.... looking forward to 50% more pens next season and ganes lasting 115 minutes
    it all starts with a deliberate act, how would VAR be able to prove that? It certainly couldn't last night, imo.

It should just be - if the ball hits an arm or hand, its a pelanty. No ambiguity there.
    It would make for some interesting shot choices in the box too
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Unbelievable.
    I suspect that VAR will just remove the seemingly arbitrary, inconsistent and random decision making from the man on the pitch (Mike Dean) to the head of the refs (Mike Riley).

As there is absolutely no corruption or bias in human society, especially where large amounts of money, prestige and glory are involved, we can least be assured that the officials are fair and impartial.

The key word here is, of course, "deliberate". Soccerball players are selected for their ability to play the game without the use of their hands (as opposed to foreign rugby players, for instance. And some goalkeepers).

Therefore, it closely follows that any time the ball comes into to contact with an outfield player's hand or arm, it may be judged a "deliberate" act, despite the fact that, ordinarily, it may well have been considered accidental.

The real question is, If the defender isn't even looking at the ball, then why, the fück, isn't he?!?! What the hell is he even doing on a football pitch?!

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post
    Indeed.

113 Handling the ball

That's the thing, after those two, there really aren't any true rain-makers around for them to buy. It will be all about actually coaching the team, getting the best out of the players again

And we know he's very good at that

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Depends on who they buy really. They (well Mourinho and Perez) would need a Galactico plus a whole lot more, yet they are spending 500 million on a roof - all a bit bizarre really

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    The real question is, If the defender isn't even looking at the ball, then why, the fück, isn't he?!?! What the hell is he even doing on a football pitch?!
    You're not advocating ball-watching are you redg? The pundocracy have strong views about that sort of thing.