Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: This needed a vote?

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    A lot would depend on the criteria of selection innit.

Are we judging said Dutch on his form while in the PL, or simply the greatest ever Dutcher to play in the PL. If the latter then while Dennis would no doubt still come out in number 1 spot I expect some could or would make a case for Ruud Gullit who has not even made your top 5.

Though you making a top 5 or top 10 list out of character is simply not the same.
    In the Netherlands, where you’d expect them to know about this, Bergkamp is considered by many to be second only to Cruyff n the pantheon pg great Dutch footballers, with Gullit behind them, Neeskens, Haan, van Hanegem and Rijkard.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    In the Netherlands, where you’d expect them to know about this, Bergkamp is considered by many to be second only to Cruyff n the pantheon pg great Dutch footballers, with Gullit behind them, Neeskens, Haan, van Hanegem and Rijkard.
    What of poor Clarence?

Interesting.

I simply was unsure where he stood in said pantheon given he lead the Oranje to their only International win of significance while also was a giant of the club game.

Why don't *you* rate van Basten?

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    What of poor Clarence?
    The, shall we say more brown players tend not to get quite the same recognition as their white counterparts. Why, I couldn’t say.

Interesting.

I simply was unsure where he stood in said pantheon given he lead the Oranje to their only International win of significance while also was a giant of the club game.

Why don't *you* rate van Basten?
    Apologies, Marco exists within the blessed trio, of course. Cruyff, Bergkamp, van Basten.

That really is quite a trio, come to think of it. And I’ve seen them all on. A pitch at one time!

Apologies, Marco exists within the blessed trio, of course. Cruyff, Bergkamp, van Basten.

That really is quite a trio, come to think of it. And I’ve seen them all on. A pitch at one time!
    Testimonials don't count. Any real football person knows that.

The, shall we say more brown players tend not to get quite the same recognition as their white counterparts. Why, I couldn’t say.
    Hmmm. And Clarence is really very brown.

Reminds me of when our former Greek chum used to come on and rant and lose his shít over a comment by Adrian Durham or another to be simply told to stop listening to the bloody station.

And then the next day the same thing.
    Sandwich shop by work has Talksport on. Usually the shouty scotcher from SSN when I'm in there, but I am always reminded of the dear old bubble.

Testimonials don't count. Any real football person knows that.
    No, but still it was a thrill.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Sandwich shop by work has Talksport on. Usually the shouty scotcher from SSN when I'm in there, but I am always reminded of the dear old bubble.
    Most of its content was always spectacularly inane. I would only listen to it in the car once I'd got sick of music or when Radio 4 was talking about women and poofters (ie 70% of the time). I could only take so much of it. Basically, when podcasts and Audible took over, that was the end of that.