Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'll tell you something for nothing. That fly past over Sheffield today

Quote Originally Posted by Pokster View Post
    75 yrs ago a badly damaged American bomber was returing from Denmark, needed an emergency landing but the pilot wouldn't land on the 1 area of grass as there were kids on there (having a fight!), so he circled but eventually hit trees and 10 airmen died..... one of the kids has tended to a memorial for years, a BBC presenter bumped into him and organised the fly past ....
    Hmm. I confess I treat these stories with some skepticism. If you're near enough top the ground in a struggling heabvy bomber to notice some children, you're unlikely to be in a position to try to keep the aircraft int he air. And the chances of the captain of an aircraft endangering his crew, in the highly unlikely event that he had the time, the capacity or the ability to make such a decision, are utterly minimal.

I'm afraid we're going to have to file this one under, "Probaby wasn't really like that, and, if it was, if the captain had lived he would quite rightly have been court-martialled anyway."

There. I've pissed in your chips, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Hmm. I confess I treat these stories with some skepticism. If you're near enough top the ground in a struggling heabvy bomber to notice some children, you're unlikely to be in a position to try to keep the aircraft int he air. And the chances of the captain of an aircraft endangering his crew, in the highly unlikely event that he had the time, the capacity or the ability to make such a decision, are utterly minimal.

I'm afraid we're going to have to file this one under, "Probaby wasn't really like that, and, if it was, if the captain had lived he would quite rightly have been court-martialled anyway."

There. I've pissed in your chips, sorry.
    Funny story all the same.

Dumb Yankee fúcker.