Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Bland.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    Does depend how you define early '90s, C.The football we played in '91 was as good as I'd ever seen. And the end of '92, when Merse and Limpar swapped wings and Campbell played up front with Wrighty was just sublime.

Course, GG being the proto-Emery decided he didn't like this and swiftly dropped everyone creative and got Hillier, Selley and Morrow into MF.

Did win us the CWC, though. After being the first team ever to win us the two domestic cups in the same season.

But yes, after we'd seen was was possible 1990-2, it was a pity. But we had the back 5 and Wrighty to keep us sane.
    After we got gubbed in the European Cup that time he shít himself and started sending teams out to kick people.

Dixon, Adams, Winterburn and Bould tasked with physically assaulting the opposition was digusting. We were no better than Stoke under Pulis and it made me ashamed.

It took Ferguson's Manyoo to get me interested in the game again. I'll never forgive George for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    After we got gubbed in the European Cup that time he shít himself and started sending teams out to kick people.

Dixon, Adams, Winterburn and Bould tasked with physically assaulting the opposition was digusting. We were no better than Stoke under Pulis and it made me ashamed.

It took Ferguson's Manyoo to get me interested in the game again. I'll never forgive George for that.
    When you say gubbed, you mean lost in Extra time to Benfica?
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

I sort of see what you mean, but Benfica did us at the start of the'91-2 season.

At the end of it, he switched Merse and Limpar's flanks so they'd cut inside onto their stronger foot and had Campbell and Wrighty in peak form.

Didn't we bear Villa 5-0 and Weds 7-1 with some sublime footie?

He then did a Dick next season, decided he didn't want any creativity and drove out anyone with any creative ability.

Well, at least that's how I remember it. I'm sure LA will be along in a bit to point out every single sentence I've written is factually inaccurate. But that was my take.

Hence the next season, we won both cups playing defensive football.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    I sort of see what you mean, but Benfica did us at the start of the'91-2 season.

At the end of it, he switched Merse and Limpar's flanks so they'd cut inside onto their stronger foot and had Campbell and Wrighty in peak form.

He then did a Dick next season, decided he didn't want any creativity and drove out anyone with any creative ability.

Well, at least that's how I remember it. I'm sure LA will be along in a bit to point out every single sentence I've written is factually inaccurate. But that was my take.

Listen mate, when you get to my age it's a miracle that I remembered it was George Graham I was talking about, never mind precise details.

He did turn us into a team that played boring football and kicked people, and that is shameful.

I remember the SW 7-1, 6 goals in the last 20 minutes when KC and IWWW were up front, next game he dropped KC and put Smith back up top
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

Listen mate, when you get to my age it's a miracle that I remembered it was George Graham I was talking about, never mind precise details.

He did turn us into a team that played boring football and kicked people, and that is shameful.
    Oh, I totally agree. It's just I loved that front 4 at the end of '92, that's why I remember it so much.

I thought we'd have the league in the bag the next year, playing Wengerball, but instead we just ground out 1-0s in the cups. So disheartening.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokster View Post
    To start with, my question was aimed at AFC E who is obviously trying to make a point thta under UE we play bland football, my point was that we also played bland football ast year.

I think the future is positive under UE, he can get rid fo some of the players who don't seem to buy into his ideas and can get in players that will suit his style of football. This will take time as we have a lot of chaf to get rid of
    The title of the thread was making a point that I happen to agree with. I see no reason for any optimism, either in terms of results or in terms of the football becoming fun to watch.

Of course, the man needs time, right now it's dull, uninspiring and lacking any kind of strategy that my limited mind can discern. I saw more of a pattern in our first 10 games under the man than I do in recent weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by AFC East View Post
    The title of the thread was making a point that I happen to agree with. I see no reason for any optimism, either in terms of results or in terms of the football becoming fun to watch.

Of course, the man needs time, right now it's dull, uninspiring and lacking any kind of strategy that my limited mind can discern. I saw more of a pattern in our first 10 games under the man than I do in recent weeks.
    Bingo.

And that's when we had Rambo and Ozil in the team and the front 5 were being allowed to play wengerball while he tried to sort out the defence.

We were scoring sexy goals but still Mustafying it up at the back. So what does Dick do? Drop the creatives.

Just like, as you and SC say, when GG played beautiful footie at the end of '92, he dropped Kevin Campbell and forced out Limpar, which drove Merse to hit the bottle and the bookies, thus leaving only IWWW as any creative up front.

It’s like watching a glass of water.
    bland last night?

cue "it was only Bournemouth"...
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post
    bland last night?

cue "it was only Bournemouth"...
    cue 'it's all about you being right and others wrong you need some help blah, blah, blah...'

All of which is a cover for 'my prior posts now make me look a right tw@t and offence is the best form of defence etc'