Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: So Monty old bean, it's pretty clear to me what is going to happen now

So Monty old bean, it's pretty clear to me what is going to happen now

The EU will throw us something in a few weeks, just enough to show movement but not enough to alienate the Irishers, and May's deal will go through. Question for you is, will you have reason to gloat - in your view - if that happens?

Furthermore, I predict that within the allotted time we will sign a free trade deal with the EU and ultimately May will have delivered exactly what the public voted for; control of our money, our courts, our trade and our borders.

At which point I shall revisit some of the absurd hyperbole that went around about how terrible her proposed deal was and smile to myself.

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    The EU will throw us something in a few weeks, just enough to show movement but not enough to alienate the Irishers, and May's deal will go through. Question for you is, will you have reason to gloat - in your view - if that happens?

Furthermore, I predict that within the allotted time we will sign a free trade deal with the EU and ultimately May will have delivered exactly what the public voted for; control of our money, our courts, our trade and our borders.

At which point I shall revisit some of the absurd hyperbole that went around about how terrible her proposed deal was and smile to myself.
    So what's important about Brexit as far as you're concerned is whether some random bloke on the internet gets to gloat about being right, or whether you do.

I've tried to talk to you about this. I've tried to explain nicely that you have a mental problem and need to seek some some help, haven't I? Did you listen? Did you get some therapy? No.

You're a danger to yourself, man.

If May’s deal goes through with only some token amendments to the backstop then I’ll have plenty of reason to gloat as that is what I’ve been predicting would happen for months.

As I recall, both you and Burney believed the ERG would remain intransigent and wouldn’t fall into line without the backstop being wholesale removed. Forgive me if I’ve misrepresented you there

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    So what's important about Brexit as far as you're concerned is whether some random bloke on the internet gets to gloat about being right, or whether you do.

I've tried to talk to you about this. I've tried to explain nicely that you have a mental problem and need to seek some some help, haven't I? Did you listen? Did you get some therapy? No.

You're a danger to yourself, man.
    How much of your life did you waste posting that drivel?

Have a word with yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    If May’s deal goes through with only some token amendments to the backstop then I’ll have plenty of reason to gloat as that is what I’ve been predicting would happen for months.

As I recall, both you and Burney believed the ERG would remain intransigent and wouldn’t fall into line without the backstop being wholesale removed. Forgive me if I’ve misrepresented you there
    I've very little idea what I posted, but I always felt that the EU would capitulate to the extent required at the last minute although I'm not convinced it will be the ERG that decides to back the deal, I think it's more likely to be Labour.

I spent about 10 minutes last night explaining to my parents in Canada what the backstop was. By the end of it I had come to the conclusion - one shared by my parents - that the Irish are proper nutters to whom both sides have given far too much consideration.

There has been all this angst, uncertainty and volatility because the Irish will start fighting each other again if we put up a border of some kind? We should have told them to get f*cked and grow the f*ck up imo.

I've very little idea what I posted, but I always felt that the EU would capitulate to the extent required at the last minute although I'm not convinced it will be the ERG that decides to back the deal, I think it's more likely to be Labour.

I spent about 10 minutes last night explaining to my parents in Canada what the backstop was. By the end of it I had come to the conclusion - one shared by my parents - that the Irish are proper nutters to whom both sides have given far too much consideration.

There has been all this angst, uncertainty and volatility because the Irish will start fighting each other again if we put up a border of some kind? We should have told them to get f*cked and grow the f*ck up imo.
    DO YOU FÚCKING MIND!

This is your mess. You all voted for it.

The only people who want a border are a small diminishing number of Huns in the North who quite frankly should fúck off and live in Scotland.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    DO YOU FÚCKING MIND!

This is your mess. You all voted for it.

The only people who want a border are a small diminishing number of Huns in the North who quite frankly should fúck off and live in Scotland.
    Who voted for it isn't the point. The point is that civilised people can get along whether there is a border or not. If you put a border between the Jocks and the English they wouldn't start fighting each other, would they? Same thing for Ontario and Quebec.

All this fuss and potentially an economic disaster (not that I believe that, of course) for no reason other than that Irish can't get along if you put a border in, even a really soft one.

Utter madness.

Who voted for it isn't the point. The point is that civilised people can get along whether there is a border or not. If you put a border between the Jocks and the English they wouldn't start fighting each other, would they? Same thing for Ontario and Quebec.

All this fuss and potentially an economic disaster (not that I believe that, of course) for no reason other than that Irish can't get along if you put a border in, even a really soft one.

Utter madness.
    Oh I don’t think for a second that anybody really thinks it will see a return to the Troubles of the past.

It is just that one side don’t want a border in respect of national unity and because it being removed was a cornerstone of the peaceful idyll in which we now co-exist with the Hun, also the ease with which people around the border can live their everyday lives, whereas the others don’t want a soft border as they want to be treated like the rest of the UK and to be separate and removed from the EU. By having no border they are really just staying exactly how they were before the vote and they know you are effectively wiping your hands of them.

I can remember the border between Newry and Dundalk the first time around and it was a massive pain in the *******s. I don’t want a border because it will be a massive pain in the *******s.

Of course there will be isolated incidences of trouble but one would expect that.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    Oh I don’t think for a second that anybody really thinks it will see a return to the Troubles of the past.

It is just that one side don’t want a border in respect of national unity and because it being removed was a cornerstone of the peaceful idyll in which we now co-exist with the Hun, also the ease with which people around the border can live their everyday lives, whereas the others don’t want a soft border as they want to be treated like the rest of the UK and to be separate and removed from the EU. By having no border they are really just staying exactly how they were before the vote and they know you are effectively wiping your hands of them.

I can remember the border between Newry and Dundalk the first time around and it was a massive pain in the *******s. I don’t want a border because it will be a massive pain in the *******s.

Of course there will be isolated incidences of trouble but one would expect that.
    Personally I'd make the customs part of the border as lightweight as possible and if that means that some goods pass through undetected then so be it, no big deal.

The people border I would move to the English side as you can control it much more easily and people don't move between NI and England/Scotland as part of their daily routine very often, I think. The DUP and others would moan about them not being part of Britain at that point and I would reply with something along the lines of 'f*ck off and play nicely you savages'.