Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Just had a chat with Mesut's cousin in the petrol station

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Do you have a view on Emery's performance, a, or do you prefer to give him more time before drawing conclusions?
    Would you not urge we judge him in May?

At this time we are in 5th place and still in Europe which without doing any research is probably where we were this time last year under Mr Wenger.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    Would you not urge we judge him in May?

At this time we are in 5th place and still in Europe which without doing any research is probably where we were this time last year under Mr Wenger.
    I was asking Ash's opinion, rather than expressing one.

I have judged nothing yet. I am appalled at what he has done to the football club, but I'm waiting to see whether he is cracking eggs to make an omelette or whether he is simply out of his depth.

I was asking Ash's opinion, rather than expressing one.

I have judged nothing yet. I am appalled at what he has done to the football club, but I'm waiting to see whether he is cracking eggs to make an omelette or whether he is simply out of his depth.
    That is the odd thing. I can perceive no clear plan. If he'd sacrificed flair to make us more defensively sound, I could at least understand that. But he hasn't. We're still distinctly sieve-like, with the additional bonus of also being worse to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    That is the odd thing. I can perceive no clear plan. If he'd sacrificed flair to make us more defensively sound, I could at least understand that. But he hasn't. We're still distinctly sieve-like, with the additional bonus of also being worse to watch.
    Alienating our two best players, playing three different systems in each game, failing to choose the correct first Xl and consistently having to change it at half-time; looked at in the plain light of day, these things are truly damning, but clearly he had some success with Sevilla, and once must imaging he actually passed his coaching badges, so we can only wait patiently to see whether there is some masterplan hidden amongst what at first glance looks like rank incompetence.

Alienating our two best players, playing three different systems in each game, failing to choose the correct first Xl and consistently having to change it at half-time; looked at in the plain light of day, these things are truly damning, but clearly he had some success with Sevilla, and once must imaging he actually passed his coaching badges, so we can only wait patiently to see whether there is some masterplan hidden amongst what at first glance looks like rank incompetence.
    Not many were accusing him of rank incompetence when we went 22 games without loss and pasted Spurs while playing fantastic football.

It wasn't that long ago, you know.

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    Not many were accusing him of rank incompetence when we went 22 games without loss and pasted Spurs while playing fantastic football.

It wasn't that long ago, you know.
    "... so we can only wait patiently to see whether there is some masterplan hidden amongst what at first glance looks like rank incompetence."

"... so we can only wait patiently to see whether there is some masterplan hidden amongst what at first glance looks like rank incompetence."
    It wasn't until December that we led a game at half time. That alone suggests there was something seriously wrong with team selection.

Do you have a view on Emery's performance, a, or do you prefer to give him more time before drawing conclusions?
    He should definitely be given time before conclusions are drawn, including hopefully a couple of transfer windows with backing. So far some interim assessments have been sketched, and the shape of those are somewhat disappoint and underwhelm.

Results have been slightly better in the league this season compared to last but performances have not been much better overall, and the football is even harder to watch - to the point that I really enjoyed the weekend without us in the 5th round.

If it is his 'tactical' decision to leave Mezut Öut of a team playing this dull and lifeless 5-0-5, and not give him the chance of a run of games that might help his form then ... meh. On the other hand he has inherited an unbalanced squad and lost three important players for the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    He should definitely be given time before conclusions are drawn, including hopefully a couple of transfer windows with backing. So far some interim assessments have been sketched, and the shape of those are somewhat disappoint and underwhelm.

Results have been slightly better in the league this season compared to last but performances have not been much better overall, and the football is even harder to watch - to the point that I really enjoyed the weekend without us in the 5th round.

If it is his 'tactical' decision to leave Mezut Öut of a team playing this dull and lifeless 5-0-5, and not give him the chance of a run of games that might help his form then ... meh. On the other hand he has inherited an unbalanced squad and lost three important players for the season.
    Thank you. Pretty much my position on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post

This sort of balanced, non-partisan and entirely rational assessment of his performance is very much against the spirit of football fandom, a.

You haven't even called for anyone to be sacked or told someone they need to get a new hobby. Play the game, ffs!