Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: There should be a word for That Moment when you realise

There should be a word for That Moment when you realise

that the version of the song you always knew was in fact a cover.

Just heard 'Denise' by Randy and the Rainbows. After forty-odd years of thinking that Blondie had written it. Though it does explain why they never wrote a tune as good as that one.

Nearest feeling to that recently was hearing the Beach Boys version of that surf track on Pulp Fiction.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post

Just heard 'Denise' by Randy and the Rainbows. After forty-odd years of thinking that Blondie had written it. Though it does explain why they never wrote a tune as good as that one.

Nearest feeling to that recently was hearing the Beach Boys version of that surf track on Pulp Fiction.
    I remember my surprise when I learnt that Patti Smith's 'Because The Night' was actually Bruce's 'Because The Night.'

Also, The Pointer Sisters' 'Fire'. That was Bruce's, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    I remember my surprise when I learnt that Patti Smith's 'Because The Night' was actually Bruce's 'Because The Night.'

Also, The Pointer Sisters' 'Fire'. That was Bruce's, too.
    I found this out on a late night BBC or Sky Arts program and I think I actually rewound the program to make sure I was not mistaken.

Not that long ago either, 12 months perhaps.

A song one has known for 30-40 years.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    I found this out on a late night BBC or Sky Arts program and I think I actually rewound the program to make sure I was not mistaken.

Not that long ago either, 12 months perhaps.

A song one has known for 30-40 years.
    To be fair she re-wrote the lyrics a bit and added a verse. He often performs the original version live.

Bruce basically wrote everything c. I knew all of these because I was an avid NME

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    To be fair she re-wrote the lyrics a bit and added a verse. He often performs the original version live.
    reader in my youth. Fire and "Because The Night" being Spingsteen comps has won me the odd fiver over the years.

Of course, a big poncy public school boy toff like you would not have read the NME, due to most of the editorial staff not being poncy public school types.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post

All along the Watchtower being Dylan not Hendrix is always good for winning a bet too.

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert Augustus Chapman View Post
    All along the Watchtower being Dylan not Hendrix is always good for winning a bet too.
    Weller's version being widely accepted as the ultimate version.

Weller's version being widely accepted as the ultimate version.
    Widely accepted among Weller fetishists s. The cognoscenti (me) recognise Dylan's live version as the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert Augustus Chapman View Post
    Widely accepted among Weller fetishists s. The cognoscenti (me) recognise Dylan's live version as the best.
    I think it is accepted Awimb protocol that one cannot have a Dylan based discussion without Peter here to tell us we are all wrong.

I think it is accepted Awimb protocol that one cannot have a Dylan based discussion without Peter here to tell us we are all wrong.
    Quite so, quite so. His maniacally insane ex partner has murdered him you know. I sense it