Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: France has withdrawn its ambassador to Italy due to being bantered off with shít...

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Indeed. A little easier, of course, to stand firm with 26 miles of water between you and the opponent after he has already let you run away.
    John McCririck, Ross Kemp, Jimmy Savile, Eddie Izzard, Gary Lineker, Kenneth Williams, Clare Balding your boys took one hell of a beating.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Have you been reading a book about British military history authored by Owen Jones? Top tip: there are plenty of respected historians who can educate you with, y’know, facts.
    :sigh:

Always the insults.

:sigh:

Always the insults.
    Sorry a, no insult intended. One's patience is simply stretched by the left's knee-jerk belittling of this country's achievements, hence my reference to The Boy Owen.

I was railing, not against you, but against those who detest myt country - Bastani, Milne and Grandpa Semtex. That sort.

Sorry a, no insult intended. One's patience is simply stretched by the left's knee-jerk belittling of this country's achievements, hence my reference to The Boy Owen.
    OK, ty. So given that the presence of a moat around the country is not a disputed fact, and neither is the reality of the strategic withdrawal from France, I can only imagine it was the suggestion that the enemy could have come down a little harder on the evacuation procedure that you felt was contentious.

OK, ty. So given that the presence of a moat around the country is not a disputed fact, and neither is the reality of the strategic withdrawal from France, I can only imagine it was the suggestion that the enemy could have come down a little harder on the evacuation procedure that you felt was contentious.
    It just seemed a strange (predicatble?) episode to mention, given the proud, unmatched history of the British military. From Agincourt to Tumbledown, we have consistently triumphed when we had no right to, which was my original point. Countering that with Dunkirk or Singapore or Hill 235 looks suspiciously like an attempt to do this reputation down, which, as I said, would be the leftist knee-jerk to which I objected.

It just seemed a strange (predicatble?) episode to mention, given the proud, unmatched history of the British military. From Agincourt to Tumbledown, we have consistently triumphed when we had no right to, which was my original point. Countering that with Dunkirk or Singapore or Hill 235 looks suspiciously like an attempt to do this reputation down, which, as I said, would be the leftist knee-jerk to which I objected.
    I wouldn’t put Hill 235 in the same company as Dunkirk or Singapore. It may have been a tactical defeat (albeit a heroic one given that there were absolute hordes of bloodthirsty chinks), but the resistance slowed the Chinese down sufficiently to prevent a larger outflanking of the US forces and an advance on Seoul.

[QUOTE=Burney;4230475]I wouldn’t put Hill 235 in the same company as Dunkirk or Singapore. It may have been a tactical defeat (albeit a heroic one given that there were absolute hordes of bloodthirsty chinks), but the resistance slowed the Chinese down sufficiently to prevent a larger outflanking of the US forces and an advance on Seoul.[/QUOTE

What.

Ever.

[QUOTE=Sir C;4230478]
    Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I wouldn’t put Hill 235 in the same company as Dunkirk or Singapore. It may have been a tactical defeat (albeit a heroic one given that there were absolute hordes of bloodthirsty chinks), but the resistance slowed the Chinese down sufficiently to prevent a larger outflanking of the US forces and an advance on Seoul.[/QUOTE

What.

Ever.
    No need to be rude. Hmph!

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal Alcoholic Review View Post
    John McCririck, Ross Kemp, Jimmy Savile, Eddie Izzard, Gary Lineker, Kenneth Williams, Clare Balding your boys took one hell of a beating.
    This is good work AAR. I have absolutely no idea what's going on. Redg would be proud of you.

Right. We should remember the good days. Arnhem. Gallipoli. Hastings. Chatham.