Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apparently, Sri Lanka is the most suicidey country on earth. I wonder why?

Apparently, Sri Lanka is the most suicidey country on earth. I wonder why?

I mean the Koreans are a close second, which is fair enough. And Poles and Russians, obvs. But Sri Lanka I don't really get.
    We're not even in the top ten.

Sri Lanka: 35.3
    South Korea: 32
    Poland: 22.3
    Russia: 20.1
    Japan: 19.7
    India: 17.9
    France: 16.9
    Thailand: 16
    United States: 14.3
    Argentina: 14.2
    Germany: 13.4
    Canada: 12.3

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I mean the Koreans are a close second, which is fair enough. And Poles and Russians, obvs. But Sri Lanka I don't really get.
    We're not even in the top ten.

Sri Lanka: 35.3
    South Korea: 32
    Poland: 22.3
    Russia: 20.1
    Japan: 19.7
    India: 17.9
    France: 16.9
    Thailand: 16
    United States: 14.3
    Argentina: 14.2
    Germany: 13.4
    Canada: 12.3
    That's totes bizarre. Sri Lanka's nice. And there's a rapidly burgeoning middle class.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    That's totes bizarre. Sri Lanka's nice. And there's a rapidly burgeoning middle class.
    I know. I mean their cricket team isn't what it was, but suicide would seem a bit of an extreme reaction.

Could it be post-war-related?

I know. I mean their cricket team isn't what it was, but suicide would seem a bit of an extreme reaction.

Could it be post-war-related?
    Ah, it's cobblers apparently.

It’s a widely-held belief that Sri Lanka has one of the highest rates of suicide in the world: the World Health Organization (WHO) actually ranks Sri Lanka’s suicide rate as the highest.

But researchers who study suicide say there’s a big catch: the data is wrong.

“It’s disregarding that there’s actually been a drop in Sri Lanka’s suicide rates and that’s a problem,” said Dr. Dee Knipe, a professor at the University of Bristol, speaking in Colombo last week.

To standardize and compare data from around the world, the WHO uses mortality data and puts it into a model. But Sri Lanka last submitted data to the WHO in 2006. The organization’s current numbers are projections based on that past submission.

More local data tells a different story. Numbers compiled annually by the Sri Lanka Police’s Division of Statistics show that the suicide rate has actually fallen by 70 percent since the mid-1990s.

That would put Sri Lanka’s suicide rate closer to the 22nd highest in the world, rather than the first.

It’s a widely-held belief that Sri Lanka has one of the highest rates of suicide in the world: the World Health Organization (WHO) actually ranks Sri Lanka’s suicide rate as the highest.

“It’s disregarding that there’s actually been a drop in Sri Lanka’s suicide rates and that’s a problem,” said Dr. Dee Knipe, a professor at the University of Bristol, speaking in Colombo last week.

To standardize and compare data from around the world, the WHO uses mortality data and puts it into a model. But Sri Lanka last submitted data to the WHO in 2006. The organization’s current numbers are projections based on that past submission.

More local data tells a different story. Numbers compiled annually by the Sri Lanka Police’s Division of Statistics show that the suicide rate has actually fallen by 70 percent since the mid-1990s.

That would put Sri Lanka’s suicide rate closer to the 22nd highest in the world, rather than the first.
    hmmm.

The prospect of having only their locally brewed lager available would make you consider it, tbf
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Hmmm. Their cricket team was actually pretty good in the mid-90s.

Thailand seems remarkably high. They seem so happy and smiley.

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post
    hmmm.

The prospect of having only their locally brewed lager available would make you consider it, tbf
    Yes, obtaining booze outside of hotels can be a bit of a faff, but I have a couple of numbers of chaps who can help you out.

Last time I bought a couple of cases of a rather decent claret at an absolute bargain price. Smuggled in, I would guess.

Hmmm. Their cricket team was actually pretty good in the mid-90s.

Thailand seems remarkably high. They seem so happy and smiley.
    Wasn't there something on More or Less about suicide rates recently?
    Possibly about which time of the year is prime for topping yourself?
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Yes, obtaining booze outside of hotels can be a bit of a faff, but I have a couple of numbers of chaps who can help you out.

Last time I bought a couple of cases of a rather decent claret at an absolute bargain price. Smuggled in, I would guess.
    Doesn't it get very warm?

Doesn't it get very warm?
    Small glasses stops that.

Trouble is, you have to have lots and lots of them.

Still, just raise your finger and someone brings you a fresh one