Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Unfortunately a very fair result. Don't have the firepower as yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    Slow centre backs in possession-oriented teams are always going to get into trouble on occasion. You can't control a game without playing a defensive line that, on occasion, compromises your defenders.

The problem is when you're a defender that's slow AND 'front-footed', like Mustafi. Sokratis, in contrast, knows his limits, as I think does Holding. And they defend accordingly.

What made Kosceilny world class was that he had that Keown-esque 'rash' like inclination to chase down attackers, but also had the pace to recover if he got himself into trouble.
    "Front-footed"; I like that.

Still, it's the manager's job to put it right, on the training ground, to ensure that it is not exposed so often. No players are perfect but you cannot allow the team to be scuppered by the shortcomings of its constituent individuals.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    Slow centre backs in possession-oriented teams are always going to get into trouble on occasion. You can't control a game without playing a defensive line that, on occasion, compromises your defenders.

The problem is when you're a defender that's slow AND 'front-footed', like Mustafi. Sokratis, in contrast, knows his limits, as I think does Holding. And they defend accordingly.

What made Kosceilny world class was that he had that Keown-esque 'rash' like inclination to chase down attackers, but also had the pace to recover if he got himself into trouble.
    user @ThierryyHenry has a wonderful thread on Twitter 'showcasing' Mustafi

as with Djourou, Squillachi, Silvestre, Caesar, etc . . . we are truly blessed to have him
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    "Front-footed"; I like that.

Still, it's the manager's job to put it right, on the training ground, to ensure that it is not exposed so often. No players are perfect but you cannot allow the team to be scuppered by the shortcomings of its constituent individuals.
    Monty doing his utmost there to come across like an effete Hebrew version of Jamie Carragher.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    Monty doing his utmost there to come across like an effete Hebrew version of Jamie Carragher.
    tbf to Carragher... the high-pitched, dolphin-clicking like Scouser was spot on about Mustafi the other day.

“Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post
    tbf to Carragher... the high-pitched, dolphin-clicking like Scouser was spot on about Mustafi the other day.

Sorry, in this case you are wrong! he stayed back to give a passing option, not exactly his fault Iwobi tried to dribble the ball where he did.... if he'd been level with Kos he'd have been in just a bad a position
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pokster View Post
    Sorry, in this case you are wrong! he stayed back to give a passing option, not exactly his fault Iwobi tried to dribble the ball where he did.... if he'd been level with Kos he'd have been in just a bad a position
    Shirley, the goalkeeper is the back pass option in that situation?

Not a defender who becomes the second player, thus playing almost the entire pitch onside.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokster View Post
    Iwobi you say.

Bobble headed shít**** that he is.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    Iwobi you say.

Bobble headed shít**** that he is.
    that is a fair assessment there, sw

Shirley, the goalkeeper is the back pass option in that situation?

Not a defender who becomes the second player, thus playing almost the entire pitch onside.
    Right. Ordinarily, all you'll be wanting there is a hoof-it-up-the-pitch option. But if we're going to insist on passing it out from the back then this sort of silliness is practically unavoidable, as M says.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

that is a fair assessment there, sw
    I am a football coach you know.

Speaking of which I introduced the concept of Offside to my U12 side last night in training. They all understood they informed me so we ran through a few scenarios without the ball and then went into a few drills.

I stopped after about 15 minutes and we agreed we would leave it for the night.

First league game on Saturday week.

I have sympathy for Emery.