Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So we was 'sacked' then.

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    Firstly, many people objected to the extension and Ozil’s contract. Secondly, even if they didn’t, so what?

Both decisions with hindsight were proven to be the wrong ones.

I don't even think it is hindsight for quite a few. I think there were a lot of people face palming at the time.
    "Scoring a goal is better than sex" - Whoever said that was sticking it to the wrong woman

Quote Originally Posted by Alberto Balsam Rodriguez View Post
    I don't even think it is hindsight for quite a few. I think there were a lot of people face palming at the time.
    There were also a lot of people demanding that we pay what it takes to 'send a message' that we can keep our players, and to show that we are a big club and so on.

I think it was a lot about saving face. We had Alexis and Özil, who were both stalling on a new deal. Be this due to lack of ambition/investment in the squad, we don’t know. But they were stalling.

The club could not be seen to lose both of its premier stars on free transfers in one summer, so we had to agree with one.

Alexis wanted City (and who can blame him?) but then United thundered in with £500k a week plus a cut of image rights. This was a deal that Arsenal will never be able to match.

That left Özil as the one we couldn’t afford to lose. Not because of what he does on the pitch, but because of his stature in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokster View Post
    The decision to give him a 2 yr extension (and all the staff), and then for him to want to sign Ozil on a £17.5m per year contract are shown to be ****ing stupid

I wonder if we tried to sell Ozil at any time before he signed his contract?
    "Scoring a goal is better than sex" - Whoever said that was sticking it to the wrong woman

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    There were also a lot of people demanding that we pay what it takes to 'send a message' that we can keep our players, and to show that we are a big club and so on.

I think you are right. There were a number of people demanding we "show our ambition". There were also a number of people calling not to pay this kind of money to Ozil. This time last year we were a very fractured fan base.

I wonder whether we actually tried to sell Ozil?

I think you are right. There were a number of people demanding we "show our ambition". There were also a number of people calling not to pay this kind of money to Ozil. This time last year we were a very fractured fan base.

I wonder whether we actually tried to sell Ozil?
    There seemed to be a lack of any news about any club that wanted him.. he could have signed a pre contract and didnn't, and i don't remember any decent rumours that anyone had offered him one or even talked to him
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

There seemed to be a lack of any news about any club that wanted him.. he could have signed a pre contract and didnn't, and i don't remember any decent rumours that anyone had offered him one or even talked to him
    Unlike Aaron, no-one wanted him.

So, Ramsey > Ozil QED

It doesn't make sense. If that was the case, it seems utterly ludicrous to give him £350K a week and make him one of the highest paid players in the league.

Alternatively, there were lots of takers and we "showed" our ambition by signing him up

The obvious fall back is that we were desperate and vulnerable, Ozil's team sensed it and went in for the kill. A tactic I intend to use this summer at my place of work.

Perhaps he was happy and never angling for a move just a right deal (though he was often and heavily connected with a move to Old Trafford, certainly prior to the Alexis deal). It's one of WES's favourite angles in his many diatribes against Ramsey earlier in the season/over the summer to point out that he was never really connected with any big clubs, yet lo and behold once it was clear he was going there were plenty of alleged suitors and a massive offer from one of the biggest clubs in the world