Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winning trophies just feeds egos........

Winning trophies just feeds egos........

Is it just me, or is this the maddest thing that has been said about football in a long, long time?

I know that a short time double knockout can hit you hard (April 2004, anyone), but really not even Wenger ever spouted such utter drivel

For 'Poch' read 'cock'

Quote Originally Posted by The Insider View Post
    Is it just me, or is this the maddest thing that has been said about football in a long, long time?

I know that a short time double knockout can hit you hard (April 2004, anyone), but really not even Wenger ever spouted such utter drivel

For 'Poch' read 'cock'
    Oliver Holt's latest column

Quote Originally Posted by PSRB View Post
    Oliver Holt's latest column
    No, a direct Pochi****to quote

For 'Poch' read 'cock'
    He's 100% right

And he obviously means winning sh*t trophies.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    He's 100% right

And he obviously means winning sh*t trophies.
    Of course, what he says is 100% right. He's just wrong to say it. If only because it's really not what paying supporters want to hear. It always comes across as self-serving and defeatist. You know, "So long as I get my eight million a year, I couldn't give a stuff about trophies." It simply doesn't sound good.

I suspect only a manager who felt extremely, even too, secure in his job could get away with it for long. After all, if the boss of a big club doesn't believe his team is good enough to win the big trophies, then the obvious response from the club would be to get a manager in that does. And Wenger's experience seems to show that patience isn't eternal, even for a great coach who's making lots and lots of money for his employers.

And it's not obvious at all he means **** trophies. Unless you think not bothering to win the domestic cups each year frees the team to concentrate on the winning the Champions League and the Prem. Oh, wait; you do think that, don't you
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

For 'Poch' read 'cock'
    https://www.football365.com/news/quo...h-place-trophy
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    Of course, what he says is 100% right. He's just wrong to say it. If only because it's really not what paying supporters want to hear. It always comes across as self-serving and defeatist. You know, "So long as I get my eight million a year, I couldn't give a stuff about trophies." It simply doesn't sound good.

I suspect only a manager who felt extremely, even too, secure in his job could get away with it for long. After all, if the boss of a big club doesn't believe his team is good enough to win the big trophies, then the obvious response from the club would be to get a manager in that does. And Wenger's experience seems to show that patience isn't eternal, even for a great coach who's making lots and lots of money for his employers.

And it's not obvious at all he means **** trophies. Unless you think not bothering to win the domestic cups each year frees the team to concentrate on the winning the Champions League and the Prem. Oh, wait; you do think that, don't you
    “It's really not what paying supporters want to hear.”

Really? I’m a paying supporter and it’s *exactly* what I want to hear. You may say I'm unusual, but no I'm not the only one. Take a quick look at Simb and you’ll see plenty of fans fighting Poch’s corner, justifying his comments on exactly the same grounds that I would.

You admit he’s right, yet you think he should pander to the Spurs fans who are too thick/immature/sentimental to face reality by bare-faced lying to their faces. This is akin to telling a bloke in a frock that he's a bird just to spare his feelings. Since when did you think this was the right thing to do?

"Unless you think not bothering to win the domestic cups each year frees the team to concentrate on the winning the Champions League and the Prem".

No, I think not risking your best available player (Erikksen) in a winnable domestic cup game at Selhurst Park when you've already got key injuries to contend with, plus vital league games and a money-spinning CL tie around the corner, is by any rational and objective measure a decision that is in the best interests of the club.
    Last edited by Monty92; 01-28-2019 at 09:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    I suspect only a manager who felt extremely, even too, secure in his job could get away with it for long.

It could be a manager who is very secure in his job.... it could also be a manager who is, you know, preparing an exit strategy.
    "Scoring a goal is better than sex" - Whoever said that was sticking it to the wrong woman

SIMB link? I actually thought they'd disbanded years ago.

Anyway, it's football; like love, the unreality, sentimentality, of the thing is the whole point

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    “It's really not what paying supporters want to hear.”

Really? I’m a paying supporter and it’s *exactly* what I want to hear. You may say I'm unusual, but no I'm not the only one. Take a quick look at Simb and you’ll see plenty of fans fighting Poch’s corner, justifying his comments on exactly the same grounds that I would.

You admit he’s right, yet you think he should pander to the Spurs fans who are too thick/immature/sentimental to face reality by bare-faced lying to their faces. This is akin to telling a bloke in a frock that he's a bird just to spare his feelings. Since when did you think this was the right thing to do?

"Unless you think not bothering to win the domestic cups each year frees the team to concentrate on the winning the Champions League and the Prem".

No, I think not risking your best available player (Erikksen) in a winnable domestic cup game at Selhurst Park when you've already got key injuries to contend with, plus vital league games and a money-spinning CL tie around the corner, is by any rational and objective measure a decision that is in the best interests of the club.

Quote Originally Posted by Alberto Balsam Rodriguez View Post
    It could be a manager who is very secure in his job.... it could also be a manager who is, you know, preparing an exit strategy.
    Or perhaps he has agreed a high-paying pledge with the lenders, along with the club, to remain in place until the stadium move is completed, thereby killing those two birds with the same stone