Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: My abiding memory of Hugh McilVanney is showing him

My abiding memory of Hugh McilVanney is showing him

the Anfield 89 book when I met him in about 2006. I didn’t think it was possible for a human to look quite so uninterested

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    the Anfield 89 book when I met him in about 2006. I didn’t think it was possible for a human to look quite so uninterested
    He wasn't a human, M. He was a writer.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    He was a writer.
    Worse than that, r, he was a journo.
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

I never really understood his exalted status.

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post
    Worse than that, r, he was a journo.
    Christ, what an epic ****
    'Seems that I was busy doing something close to nothing
    But different than the day before'

'Met a dwarf that was no good, dressed like Little Red Riding Hood'

'Now you're unemployed, all non-void
    Walkin' round like you're Pretty Boy Floyd'

I didn’t think it was possible for a human to look quite so uninterested
    Token, he was meeting you, post.
    "Scoring a goal is better than sex" - Whoever said that was sticking it to the wrong woman

Does pestering somebody really count as meeting them? Did you 'meet' old bug eyes when you jumped out of the bushes and ambushed him for the selfie? ( meant for Monty )

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I never really understood his exalted status.
    He was a journalist writing for national newspapers b. You are unfailingly rancorous to anyone higher up the writer's food chain than you

(didn't know he existed til Monty's post )

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert Augustus Chapman View Post
    Does pestering somebody really count as meeting them? Did you 'meet' old bug eyes when you jumped out of the bushes and ambushed him for the selfie? ( meant for Monty )

To be fair to old Monty.... if he is jumping out of the bushes, he will eventually be signing a register.
    "Scoring a goal is better than sex" - Whoever said that was sticking it to the wrong woman

No, it was when I was editing a book about Pele for a boutique publishing house in Camden. Mcilvanney was one of the book’s contributors and would sometimes pop into our office.

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert Augustus Chapman View Post