Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
Well I, for one, do not hate the fellow, I just fail to see what he brings to the party. Or, indeed, what he's supposed to bring to the party.

Of course it's possible that I just have a blind sport. It's an affliction that can strike anyone. Why, do you know, I remember someone who could never appreciate the enormous contribution made by our red-haired Swedish genius! Imagine.
Which is an inaccurate recollection if I can say so.

To deny his contribution would be idiotic given the goals he scored, specifically goals in the run in to the title in 2002 when we lost Pires.

My bone of contention was simply that as a footballer I thought he was a little over-rated and that as a footballer he could count himself so very extremely lucky to have played on the same grass at the same time and in the same team as others such as Bergkamp, Henry, Vieira etc. who elevated him to a level beyond his actual technical football ability.

He also dyed his hair red, people loved that, some people. He earned a lot of public kudos on this fashion decision.

He is seen as a hero and club legend whereas a player such as Wiltord is often viewed with an almost disdain, despite him also scoring a lot of goals for the club including as iconic a goal as any the Swede did.

My perceived hatred of the man was always over stated.