Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Have you ever sent someone a picture of ytour winkle?

Burney "My favourite thing in the Psmith books is the way Mike Jackson at short notice pops to Lord's and knocks off a quick hundred. We've all been there."

Hello Dennis Compton!
    He used to avail himself of his night-on-the-tiles DJ before topping up the Brylcreem and changing into his whites
    Did they have pads in his day?
    10 characters? Pile of cund.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva Prat Vegas View Post
    Burney "My favourite thing in the Psmith books is the way Mike Jackson at short notice pops to Lord's and knocks off a quick hundred. We've all been there."

Hello Dennis Compton!
    He used to avail himself of his night-on-the-tiles DJ before topping up the Brylcreem and changing into his whites
    Did they have pads in his day?
    Compton is also - as far as I'm aware - the only England cricketer/Arsenal player ever to have been namechecked in an Oscars acceptance speech.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Compton is also - as far as I'm aware - the only England cricketer/Arsenal player ever to have been namechecked in an Oscars acceptance speech.
    By Tim Rice? The man isn't all bad

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    By Tim Rice? The man isn't all bad
    Correct. I'm just guessing he's the only one.

Correct. I'm just guessing he's the only one.
    Yes - just looked up cricket at the oscars. Closest other mention was Russell Crowe thanking his uncle, Martin and Jeff's dad

Yes - just looked up cricket at the oscars. Closest other mention was Russell Crowe thanking his uncle, Martin and Jeff's dad
    I looked it up and apparently Derek Pringle was in Chariots of Fire.
    AzAIFKjCQAAiEiM.jpg

I looked it up and apparently Derek Pringle was in Chariots of Fire.
    AzAIFKjCQAAiEiM.jpg
    Token better actor than cricketer reply

Token better actor than cricketer reply
    If he'd stuck with acting, we could have been spared the sight of him trundling towards Viv Richards (it's always Viv Richards in my mind), releasing an innocuous delivery and seeing Richards dispatch it with ease while speccy Del looked perplexed.

HOW DID THAT MAN GET 40-ODD CAPS, LA? HOW!??

If he'd stuck with acting, we could have been spared the sight of him trundling towards Viv Richards (it's always Viv Richards in my mind), releasing an innocuous delivery and seeing Richards dispatch it with ease while speccy Del looked perplexed.

HOW DID THAT MAN GET 40-ODD CAPS, LA? HOW!??
    He had a remarkable ability to get Dessie Haynes out I seem to recall - which did only bring Richards to the crease but there you go

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert Augustus Chapman View Post
    Having now been through the whole Jeeves oeuvre twice I tried my first Blandings and , though I managed to finish, felt something was missing. At the mention in the book of Sir Roderick Glossop I became misty eyed and nostalgic for Bertie and Jeeves.

Have just finished Ben Schott's Jeeves and the King of Clubs and found it very wide of the mark. Far too many snappy one liners for Bertram methinks.

Have you tried Faulks' attempt? I fancy you'd be too much the purist b to have bothered but 'red will be much less of a literary snob.
    Yes, although Emsworth is essentially an aged Bertie Wooster, the books lack Wooster's first person narration, which is the most genius thing the genius ever created, imo.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."