Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So the Invincibles thing is safe for another season and Spurs aren't going to win it.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

So the Invincibles thing is safe for another season and Spurs aren't going to win it.

Good things both, but now the sole interest we have left in the league this season is hoping Liverpool don't win it.

Jesus. We really have just turned into Everton, haven't we?

#justanotherfootballclub

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    #justanotherfootballclub
    That's all we've been since we relaxed the 'one shirt type for all' on match days rule
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post
    That's all we've been since we relaxed the 'one shirt type for all' on match days rule
    True story, i. To think the way people used to moan about PH-W. We were a proper club with proper traditions back then. We've chucked all that in the bin and now look at us.

True story, i. To think the way people used to moan about PH-W. We were a proper club with proper traditions back then. We've chucked all that in the bin and now look at us.
    Money what done it.

PH-W
    The club has had to move with the times, embrace modernity, and at the same time try to retain Arsenal’s tradition values. “I remember my father being absolutely horrified at the thought of having perimeter advertising. It was a case of ‘over my dead body’, says the chairman.
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Money what done it.

PH-W
    The club has had to move with the times, embrace modernity, and at the same time try to retain Arsenal’s tradition values. “I remember my father being absolutely horrified at the thought of having perimeter advertising. It was a case of ‘over my dead body’, says the chairman.
    I'm not saying it was avoidable - it probably wasn't. However, it is a salutary lesson in how easy it is when seeking to modernise an institution to also remove everything that made it special. Because all those little things seem silly when you're doing well and don't need them, but when you're mediocre and have nothing else to cling to, they matter much, much more.

Money what done it.

PH-W
    Right. Values is difficult whereas almost anybody can make money.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

But we're rich now. That all that mattress

I'm just watching that Keys & Gray interview with Veng. He goes all JFK at one point and bemoans the fact that when he arrived at Arsenal, the players used to feel responsible to the club, for bad results and so on. But now it's t'other way about and the club feels responsible to the players; if there's bad results and performances, the club feels it has let the players down and it must do more for them.

Yes, who could've imagined that celebrating the replacement of actual Arsenal players with an endless supply of cheap, foreign mercenaries would lead to this
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    But we're rich now. That all that mattress

I'm just watching that Keys & Gray interview with Veng. He goes all JFK at one point and bemoans the fact that when he arrived at Arsenal, the players used to feel responsible to the club, for bad results and so on. But now it's t'other way about and the club feels responsible to the players; if there's bad results and performances, the club feels it has let the players down and it must do more for them.

Yes, who could've imagined that celebrating the replacement of actual Arsenal players with an endless supply of cheap, foreign mercenaries would lead to this
    Hang on, we got almost a decade of service each out of our most successful "cheap foreign mercenaries". That's a pretty good model for success if you can sustain it, which is of course the hard bit.

And look what happened when Wenger produced his first world class "actual Arsenal player" - he nearly swerved off the road in his desperation to leave, Jeff.
    Last edited by Monty92; 01-04-2019 at 11:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    Hang on, we got almost a decade of service each out of our most successful "cheap foreign mercenaries". That's a pretty good model for success if you can sustain it, which is of course the hard bit.

And look what happened when Wenger produced his first world class "actual Arsenal player" - he nearly swerved off the road in his desperation to leave, Jeff.
    Yes. I think his point is that these people are no longer "Arsenal"; they no longer "sents els colors del seu club", as they say in Foreign.

For instance, we never placed any special, uncommon value on Cole's one-of-our-ownness, did we. And so on. Whereas once, it would've been enough to make him captain.

Good things both, but now the sole interest we have left in the league this season is hoping Liverpool don't win it.

Jesus. We really have just turned into Everton, haven't we?

#justanotherfootballclub
    #transition - I was watching last night and thinking that I really hope Emery is given the funds (or the drugs) to put us on a par (ish) with those 2 sides. Cracking match