Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Talking of chicks, I read a book by one and it was alright. :nod:

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    There's anothe good audible choice for you, it's a trilogy but only two of them available on audiobook so far, my bird introduced me to them, they're about a lad and horses and that, what's it called now, The Horseman. Tim Pears. That's the first one. Checkitout.
    Is there any war in it?

I don't usually like fiction where people don't get shot or stabbed anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Is there any war in it?

I don't usually like fiction where people don't get shot or stabbed anymore.
    Hmm. To be fair, not a great deal actually happens, per se. Things just, well, are.

The glw says if you're after recommendations, you should read The Western Wind.

How about Beevor's Arnhem?

But also, when is that lazy fat cow going to finish her fúcking book? Fúck's sake.

Mantel, I mean. The first two were excellent on audiobook and lasted for hours. Days.
    Dunno. They did go on, didn't they? That's the trouble with Audible. When you drive a lot, you start to value the books by length more than anything else. I got The Crimson Petal And The White (about Victorian hooers and that) and it was 41 hrs 32 minutes Proper value, that. Wasn't too bad, either. Lots of anal.

Dunno. They did go on, didn't they? That's the trouble with Audible. When you drive a lot, you start to value the books by length more than anything else. I got The Crimson Petal And The White (about Victorian hooers and that) and it was 41 hrs 32 minutes Proper value, that. Wasn't too bad, either. Lots of anal.
    Also, I'm currently very much enjoying The 21 Escapres of Lt Alastair Cram. Proper order.

Hmm. To be fair, not a great deal actually happens, per se. Things just, well, are.

The glw says if you're after recommendations, you should read The Western Wind.

How about Beevor's Arnhem?
    That sounds quite good, but it's only 10 hours.

Done Arnhem. It got a bit depressing. I prefer the books where the Germans lose.

Also, I'm currently very much enjoying The 21 Escapres of Lt Alastair Cram. Proper order.
    The title spoils the suspense a bit for the first 20, don't you think?

Who knew that was a thing?
    If you'll only read a book by a bint if it's got a ghostie in it, then Wuthering Heights would count. It's also absolutely ****ing stunning. We listened to an adaptation on R4 last year and we loved it so much we kept playing the Kate Bush song for weeks.

I got her a Wuthering Heights umbrella for Xmas. It's orange, like the cover of the Penguin book.

Did you know the song was the first no.1 in the UK both written and performed by a bint? As a British feminist, it makes me proud that the spirit of Britannia connects them in this way.

I love C19th lit but while the Frogs and Ruskies have as good male authors as well do, none of them let the totty write. There's no French Brontë or Ruskie Austen.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    If you'll only read a book by a bint if it's got a ghostie in it, then Wuthering Heights would count. It's also absolutely ****ing stunning. We listened to an adaptation on R4 last year and we loved it so much we kept playing the Kate Bush song for weeks.

I got her a Wuthering Heights umbrella for Xmas. It's orange, like the cover of the Penguin book.

Did you know the song was the first no.1 in the UK both written and performed by a bint? As a British feminist, it makes me proud that the spirit of Britannia connects them in this way.

I love C19th lit but while the Frogs and Ruskies have as good male authors as well do, none of them let the totty write. There's no French Brontë or Ruskie Austen.
    A clever narrative structure, but Heathcliff isn’t an actual, recognisable male character. He’s a 30 year-old frustrated virgin spinster’s wànk fantasy.

A clever narrative structure, but Heathcliff isn’t an actual, recognisable male character. He’s a 30 year-old frustrated virgin spinster’s wànk fantasy.
    He' a cünt. And he's a northerner. 100% believable in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    He' a cünt. And he's a northerner. 100% believable in my book.
    Exactly. In real life a man who was that much of a cùnt would have struggled to make it past his 20th birthday. He'd have been quietly beaten to death and dumped on t'moor. Nobody at any point explains how he went about making his fortune despite his singular lack of interpersonal skills or discernible talent. He's just a bit of a cypher and is profoundly unconvincing.