Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Talking of chicks, I read a book by one and it was alright. :nod:

Talking of chicks, I read a book by one and it was alright. :nod:

Who knew that was a thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Who knew that was a thing?
    I can't bear reading books by chicks. They always get men wrong.

I suppose this is probably what women feel about male writers, but y'know, who cares?

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I can't bear reading books by chicks. They always get men wrong.

I suppose this is probably what women feel about male writers, but y'know, who cares?
    Yes, but, as I say, (perhaps you weren't listening?) this one was alright. I'd go so far as to say it was quite good. So there you are, all previously held convictions regarding womenwriters may now be revisited.

Yes, but, as I say, (perhaps you weren't listening?) this one was alright. I'd go so far as to say it was quite good. So there you are, all previously held convictions regarding womenwriters may now be revisited.
    Look, you getting the horn from reading a Jilly Cooper novel doesn't make it actually good or incline me to suppose that lady scribblers are of any use. Sir, a woman writing is very much like a dog walking on its hind legs. The thing is not done well; but you are surprised to find it done at all*.

*With apologies to Dr Johnson, who in fact said this about women preaching.

Look, you getting the horn from reading a Jilly Cooper novel doesn't make it actually good or incline me to suppose that lady scribblers are of any use. Sir, a woman writing is very much like a dog walking on its hind legs. The thing is not done well; but you are surprised to find it done at all*.

*With apologies to Dr Johnson, who in fact said this about women preaching.
    Oh, you don't trust my judgement now? I can assure you, old chap, that if I told you that a Jilly Cooper novel would give you the horn, you may rest assured that a mere page would have your wizened prawn standing on end in some sort of twisted evocation of what the rest of the world might call an 'erection'.

Oh, you don't trust my judgement now? I can assure you, old chap, that if I told you that a Jilly Cooper novel would give you the horn, you may rest assured that a mere page would have your wizened prawn standing on end in some sort of twisted evocation of what the rest of the world might call an 'erection'.
    Go on then. Who is this so-called good so-called chick so-called writer? Hmmm?

Go on then. Who is this so-called good so-called chick so-called writer? Hmmm?
    It's this one. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Coffin-Path...he+coffin+path It's got ghosties and everything! Woooooooooooo!

It's this one. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Coffin-Path...he+coffin+path It's got ghosties and everything! Woooooooooooo!
    Oooh, it's on Audible. I've nabbed it. For lack of choice, I've been reduced to listening to Bernard Cornwell books lately. They're really not terribly good. And very samey. And all the women either get raped or narrowly escape rape. He's deffo got a thing about rape. Dirty man.

Oooh, it's on Audible. I've nabbed it. For lack of choice, I've been reduced to listening to Bernard Cornwell books lately. They're really not terribly good. And very samey. And all the women either get raped or narrowly escape rape. He's deffo got a thing about rape. Dirty man.
    There's anothe good audible choice for you, it's a trilogy but only two of them available on audiobook so far, my bird introduced me to them, they're about a lad and horses and that, what's it called now, The Horseman. Tim Pears. That's the first one. Checkitout.

But also, when is that lazy fat cow going to finish her fúcking book? Fúck's sake.

Mantel, I mean. The first two were excellent on audiobook and lasted for hours. Days.