Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: As someone who firmly believes that Unai Emery has turned us

As someone who firmly believes that Unai Emery has turned us

into the laughing stock of world football with his grotesque appearance and comedy voice, can I just say that any criticism of him at this point is absolutely crazy.

His first few months have been largely excellent and we’ve seen significant improvement individually and collectively. We’ve certainly seen enough so far to be confident we’ve picked a worthy successor to Wenger.

I would say, however, that I’m not quite sure how we bridge the obvious gap between us and the teams above us without CL football to attract better players.

Which was my entire point when I used to say that top four was more important than a trophy and was roundly shouted down for doing so

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    into the laughing stock of world football with his grotesque appearance and comedy voice, can I just say that any criticism of him at this point is absolutely crazy.

His first few months have been largely excellent and we’ve seen significant improvement individually and collectively. We’ve certainly seen enough so far to be confident we’ve picked a worthy successor to Wenger.

I would say, however, that I’m not quite sure how we bridge the obvious gap between us and the teams above us without CL football to attract better players.

Which was my entire point when I used to say that top four was more important than a trophy and was roundly shouted down for doing so
    You were usually shouted down for being a big nosed ****sack m; nowt to do with your opinions on football.

This is an entirely fair intervention.

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert Augustus Chapman View Post
    You were usually shouted down for being a big nosed ****sack m; nowt to do with your opinions on football.

Well, over the years and mostly in defence of Wenger, we have pooh-poohed the idea of signing many, if not most, of the players currently performing for the teams above us (#fiftymillionquid4johnstoneslol). So maybe it's not so much about buying better players as it is about getting the players you already have to play better?

Especially seeing as all that Champions League qualification apparently didn't actually enable us to sign all those "better" players we needed in order to continue to qualify for the Champions League, did it

"Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Of course it's too early to judge him. It's fair to say whether you enjoy watching his team play. It's also fair to point out that alleged improvements to players like Iwobi are difficult to support.

CL football definitely makes it easier to sign good players. The fact that this didn’t prevent us from
    dropping out doesn’t change that.

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    Well, over the years and mostly in defence of Wenger, we have pooh-poohed the idea of signing many, if not most, of the players currently performing for the teams above us (#fiftymillionquid4johnstoneslol). So maybe it's not so much about buying better players as it is about getting the players you already have to play better?

Especially seeing as all that Champions League qualification apparently didn't actually enable us to sign all those "better" players we needed in order to continue to qualify for the Champions League, did it

CL football definitely makes it easier to sign good players. The fact that this didn’t prevent us from
    dropping out doesn’t change that.
    OK, if you say so. Perhaps then, merely buying good players is not actually the issue? #WengerOut
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Correct

Correct....

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    OK, if you say so. Perhaps then, merely buying good players is not actually the issue? #WengerOut

Quote Originally Posted by AFC East View Post
    Of course it's too early to judge him. It's fair to say whether you enjoy watching his team play. It's also fair to point out that alleged improvements to players like Iwobi are difficult to support.
    Here is wisdom.

We're just ordinary. It's like watching Everton.

Quote Originally Posted by AFC East View Post
    I did go on AWIMB record earlier in the season that I may have been wrong about Iwobi.

It turns out that I wasn't. He really is quite extraordinarily shít.
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”