Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Honeymoon period's over then ?

Quote Originally Posted by AFC East View Post
    You don't think they are better than us? Did we field a weakened team?
    They are better than us but they are also 2-3 years ahead of us on the journey, as such.

Your earlier comment was "They are out of our league" - I don't think the difference is that stark.

I'm not judging him, just pointing out that there is almost no basis for optimism yet.
    You don’t think 22 games undefeated early in his tenure with the club is a basis for optimism? And if they were so tired in the league game why did we piss all over them in the first 20 minutes followed by them coming back into it and taking the lead? Did their tiredness disappear and then reappear magically?

And are you really drawing definitive conclusions on our relative strength based on a league cup game while ignoring the league game? Seriously?

Honestly mate, I get that you loved Wenger, we all did at some point, but you seem to have lost all objectivity and are putting yourself in the position that if we do something special this season (like winning our first European trophy and making the top four) you won’t be able to celebrate it. What’s the point of supporting a football club if you can’t do that?

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    You don’t think 22 games undefeated early in his tenure with the club is a basis for optimism? And if they were so tired in the league game why did we piss all over them in the first 20 minutes followed by them coming back into it and taking the lead? Did their tiredness disappear and then reappear magically?

And are you really drawing definitive conclusions on our relative strength based on a league cup game while ignoring the league game? Seriously?

Honestly mate, I get that you loved Wenger, we all did at some point, but you seem to have lost all objectivity and are putting yourself in the position that if we do something special this season (like winning our first European trophy and making the top four) you won’t be able to celebrate it. What’s the point of supporting a football club if you can’t do that?
    It depends what you are optimistic about.
    Am I optimistic about enjoying Arsenal play football? No.
    Am I optimistic about winning the league in the next three seasons? No.
    Do I think we could push our way into the top 4 in the next three years? Mildly.

In fairness, it's too early to judge. I take umbrage at the unbridled optimism of some fans and offer a counterpoint. Yes, Spurs were very tired in the second half imo. That's the way tiredness works, it gets worse as the game goes on.

You also reveal yourself as a total JCL, by talking about our first European trophy. Some of us remember the last couple pretty well. The Europa League is nothing by comparison, but would be welcome none the less.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    They are better than us but they are also 2-3 years ahead of us on the journey, as such.

Your earlier comment was "They are out of our league" - I don't think the difference is that stark.
    Okay, they are a level above us, not a league. We will see at the end of the season.

Okay, they are a level above us, not a league. We will see at the end of the season.
    I will grant you this.

It depends what you are optimistic about.
    Am I optimistic about enjoying Arsenal play football? No.
    Am I optimistic about winning the league in the next three seasons? No.
    Do I think we could push our way into the top 4 in the next three years? Mildly.

In fairness, it's too early to judge. I take umbrage at the unbridled optimism of some fans and offer a counterpoint. Yes, Spurs were very tired in the second half imo. That's the way tiredness works, it gets worse as the game goes on.

You also reveal yourself as a total JCL, by talking about our first European trophy. Some of us remember the last couple pretty well. The Europa League is nothing by comparison, but would be welcome none the less.
    I meant the first European trophy since Wenger although I accept I didn’t make that clear, the point really was that as Wenger failed to win one, Unai achieving that in his first year would be quite an achievement.

And If you aren’t optimistic now I fail to see how you could have been any more optimistic under Wenger given the continual degradation in results. We were only going in one direction under him, Unai has been brought in to arrest that.