Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: I hope all these Tory MPs coming out and backing May turn into

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Well May's compromise means that A) I will not have to live in Netherlands/Germany/Ireland to stay with my other half and B) I can import wine from France and Italy without paying import duty.

These are, of course, the important things.
    Why won't you pay duty from France / Italy?

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    Why won't you pay duty from France / Italy?
    Because May's deal keeps the GB and NI in the Customs Union.

Okay, fair enough.

I thought the whole point was to leave it.

Okay, fair enough.

We're not allowed to, apparently. Because what we vote for is irrelevant. Apparently.

I agree that is what it means to you. However, the vast majority of those that voted leave did so because they didn't like foreign (EU and non-EU) folk claiming benefits, want to earn more money, want more job opportunities etc.

The reality, at least with the final two points, is that people would be worse off. Ultimately, people care about their own quality of life and in the short to medium term, there is absolutely no doubt that they will be better off in the EU (or with May's compromise/semi-Brexit).
    Now you see, Rich, after all this time you finally made yourself useful.

Yes, you are exactly correct, Burney represents a tiny minority of people who voted for Brexit because of his 'principles'. His failure to recognize this is because of....... you know what, I won't bother. Just read his post again where he describes himself perfectly while missing how incredibly ironic it is that he does so while trying to describe someone else (me).

Okay, fair enough.

Speaking generally, I think the below lists the things we like and dislike as a country.

Customs Union/Free trade/Single market
    Visa-less travel

Dislike

Free movement of people
    Having to give lots of money to the likes of Greece and Ireland
    Being told by Brussels what to do

If her deal were to go through, you mean. And not only does it keep us in the CU while we negotiate our exit terms, during that period we get all the benefit of being in the EU without having to pay them any money, having control of our borders and being able to deviate from their regulations in all but a few areas.

Yet somehow this is a horrible deal and a travesty and May is a cund etc etc etc

Honestly, you couldn't make some of these halfwits up if you tried.

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    If her deal were to go through, you mean. And not only does it keep us in the CU while we negotiate our exit terms, during that period we get all the benefit of being in the EU without having to pay them any money, having control of our borders and being able to deviate from their regulations in all but a few areas.

Yet somehow this is a horrible deal and a travesty and May is a cund etc etc etc

Honestly, you couldn't make some of these halfwits up if you tried.
    I think that May got most of what she asked for, tbh. A negotiation is a compromise and given that nobody wanted a hard/no-deal Brexit, the EU were hardly going to bend over and give May everything she asked for.

She's damned if she does and damned if she does. I, for one, admire her resilience.

Speaking generally, I think the below lists the things we like and dislike as a country.

Customs Union/Free trade/Single market
    Visa-less travel

Dislike

Free movement of people
    Having to give lots of money to the likes of Greece and Ireland
    Being told by Brussels what to do
    Is this not slightly contradictory as in you want to have it but you don't want others to have it?

Is this not slightly contradictory as in you want to have it but you don't want others to have it?
    Sort of, but not exactly. We have no problem with foreign folk coming over for a holiday, spending some money & then returned from whence they came. We do have a problem with foreign folk coming here to settle.

We do not ask for the right to settle within the EU. What we ask is that we can still visit Tuscany/Bordeaux/Corsica etc without having to go through the palava of obtaining a visa.