Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: I hope all these Tory MPs coming out and backing May turn into

From the BBC

So far, 174 Tory MPs have publicly said they will vote for her - although the ballot will be secret.

Although the ballot will be secret

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Oh she was that sort of lady. She was an expert in absolutely every matter under the sun. She had trained as a nurse during the war so I suppose she had some basic medical knowledge, but I don't imagine her advice extended much further than, 'Go to see your doctor'.

Some people just need to hear common sense spoken, don't they? And she was famed for her common sense.
    Well I suppose we must just hope the silly boy didn’t show her his shameful growths.

From Betfair....

Event Start Time
    12 December 2018 18:00

Rules
    Win Only Market
    MARKET INFORMATION
    For further information please see Rules & Regs.

What will be the result of the Tory No Confidence Vote in Theresa May? Theresa May win means the motion of no confidence vote has been defeated. If the actual vote does not take place on 12/12/2018 then market will be void The market will be settled once the result of the vote has officially been announced.

. At 18:00 on 12/12/2018 this market will be turned in-play with unmatched bets cancelled. Thereafter this market will not be actively managed and customers are responsible for their own positions at all times.

For clarification this market refers to the confidence vote on Theresa May's Leadership of the Conservative Party due to be held on 12/12/2018. Theresa May Win will be settled as a winner if on the announcement of the result she received the most votes in the Confidence Vote to stay on as leader of the Conservative Party.

Took a bit of the 7/1 for her to lose.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    What the fùck has it got to do with the Governor of the Bank of England or business leaders, ffs?

Your thick-headed failure to grasp that BREXIT IS NOT ABOUT BUSINESS makes you wholly unqualified to have this discussion and you ought probably to stop trying until such time as you can hammer that simple idea into your bonce.

Before she started ‘negotiating’, she removed everything the EU feared - a hard border in Ireland; no £39 billion; no deal; kicking out EU citizens - from her arsenal. As a result, they’ve fùcked her arsewise - because she’d thrown away all our strongest cards. By any conceivable standards that is písspoor negotiation. The ONLY way you get anything from the EU is by playing hardball and brinkmanship. She ante’d up and folded before anyone has even bet.
    Brexit is not about business

You artsies really are f*cking thick and out of touch with reality. That's probably the funniest thing I've read on the subject, well it would be if it wasn't so tragically stupid.

And even if you choose to ignore the practical implications of Brexit, the point that you massively missed as your head was stuck up your arse, is that the EU very much would have been listening to the governor of the B of E and all those business leaders and would have been very aware of the pressure that was putting on May and that would have impacted their attitude during negotiations.

I would have thought that was blindingly obvious to most people. Possibly not you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Mine was possessed of a, shall we say, powerful personality. Very much the matriarch, she was.

When I was young all my mates were terrified of her, but when they had a problem they'd come creeping round asking for advice. Even my mate with the genital warts.
    Oi Mrs c'smum, about these genital warts you gave me!

I'm leaving already ... taxi!

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    Brexit is not about business

You artsies really are f*cking thick and out of touch with reality. That's probably the funniest thing I've read on the subject, well it would be if it wasn't so tragically stupid.

And even if you choose to ignore the practical implications of Brexit, the point that you massively missed as your head was stuck up your arse, is that the EU very much would have been listening to the governor of the B of E and all those business leaders and would have been very aware of the pressure that was putting on May and that would have impacted their attitude during negotiations.

I would have thought that was blindingly obvious to most people. Possibly not you.
    No. It’s not - and never was. It affects business, but it is not about business. It is about ideas like nationhood, pride, self-determination, political sovereignty, representation and what it means to be a democracy.
    These ideas lead some people to have these things called principles. Sadly, you simply don’t have any of these because you are a man with little if any intellectual or emotional depth and cannot conceive that some people might think think that principles matter more than money because all you can ever see are numbers.
    It’s a disability, really. You assume everyone thinks like you because you lack the empathy or intellectual range to understand that not everyone is wired like you. You’re like a man who’s been blind since birth who therefore assumes the whole world is black. You are quite unable to think beyond your tiny, narrow little worldview.

200 to 117 to stay

No. It’s not - and never was. It affects business, but it is not about business. It is about ideas like nationhood, pride, self-determination, political sovereignty, representation and what it means to be a democracy.
    These ideas lead some people to have these things called principles. Sadly, you simply don’t have any of these because you are a man with little if any intellectual or emotional depth and cannot conceive that some people might think think that principles matter more than money because all you can ever see are numbers.
    It’s a disability, really. You assume everyone thinks like you because you lack the empathy or intellectual range to understand that not everyone is wired like you. You’re like a man who’s been blind since birth who therefore assumes the whole world is black. You are quite unable to think beyond your tiny, narrow little worldview.
    Funny, you just described yourself perfectly there. I wouldn't change a word.

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    It was hardly May that ruled out no deal - it was most of Parliament. Not to mention the governor of the B of E and an endless array of business leaders. There was never any chance that the EU wouldn't see through the no deal threat, had she gone in and said 'we're prepared for no deal' the would have said 'go ahead then'. And regardless of her red lines the EU was never going to let Ireland be hammered - as they have said clearly, without a backstop there is no deal.

Nothing you have said makes any clear argument for us getting a deal any different than we have now had we negotiated differently. I have yet to hear anyone come up with one, not Rees-Mogg, not Boris, no one. And when they get pushed on how impossible our negotiating position is they inevitably admit that the only realistic alternative is no deal.

She was in an impossible position and we'll end up where we were always going to end up; Remain or no deal. There was nothing anyone could have done to prevent that. BTW, I consider the Norway option to be Remain, because it really is.
    Well May's compromise means that A) I will not have to live in Netherlands/Germany/Ireland to stay with my other half and B) I can import wine from France and Italy without paying import duty.

These are, of course, the important things.

I agree that is what it means to you. However, the vast majority of those that voted leave did so because they didn't like foreign (EU and non-EU) folk claiming benefits, want to earn more money, want more job opportunities etc.

The reality, at least with the final two points, is that people would be worse off. Ultimately, people care about their own quality of life and in the short to medium term, there is absolutely no doubt that they will be better off in the EU (or with May's compromise/semi-Brexit).