Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: So I've only paid a small amount of attention to all this Brexit nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I'm a leetle bit on the fence about it. However, I suspect May asked for what she wanted and was promptly told to do one by the EU. Unfortunately, leaving with no deal will 100% hurt most of the people that voted for Brexit (though I accept they didn't know what they were voting for at the time).

I think we'll need a final referendum to decide whether we want to accept the deal we do have or remain. I highly doubt we will leave with no deal since it means that everybody loses.
    Too many people state this as though it was fact; I have yet to see a sensible, objective analysis that makes it clear that it is fact.

And most of the people saying this, also told us that voting for Brexit would cause the economy to crash.

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    Too many people state this as though it was fact; I have yet to see a sensible, objective analysis that makes it clear that it is fact.

And most of the people saying this, also told us that voting for Brexit would cause the economy to crash.
    This fella is a highly outspoken Brexiteer who thinks No Deal would be a total disaster (he favours the Norway model)

http://peterjnorth.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    "Hmm, the majority of the population want something that doesn't suit their betters, we'd better gag them and not allow them a say."

Strange idea of democracy you've got there.
    The thing that makes me laugh is that the fùcking morons who parrot this line never, ever have the imagination to consider that this logic might one day be applied to something they want. And, of course, in that situation when they have it denied them on the grounds that it is inconvenient, they will squeal like pigs, throw their hands up in horror and wonder aghast how this could have happened.

Pricks.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    Yes, although polling also suggests that the majority of the population advocate the death pelanty.
    So... because you are so superior to hoi polloi, you should be allowed to decide which matters they get to have a say in?

My word, you're a very special person indeed. Please may I touch you?

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    So if we attempt to negotiate a future relationship with the EU, they play hardball and we then leave on a hard Brexit (something that the current agreement does not prevent) - what would be your democratic issue?
    I would have no democratic issue with that. However, that is not what is going to happen. The government has in effect ignored the vote to leave and repeatedly lied that we were to leave the SM, CU and the jurisdiction of the ECJ. In defiance of its democratic mandate as defined by its manifesto, the government has not negotiated a Brexit in any meaningful sense. It has effectively signed up to a deal whereby we remain on vastly less favourable terms, in return for which we see an end to FOM. That deal leaves us effectively impotent in any negotiations on a future relationship.

Yes, although polling also suggests that the majority of the population advocate the death pelanty.
    What's wrong with advocating the death penalty?

So... because you are so superior to hoi polloi, you should be allowed to decide which matters they get to have a say in?

My word, you're a very special person indeed. Please may I touch you?
    I'm just wondering if there's any limits to the extent that you believe the greater number should exercise greater power?

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    What's wrong with advocating the death penalty?
    Nothing at all. But I'n not sure I favour a referendum about it (maybe I do, I haven't really thought about it).

I'm just wondering if there's any limits to the extent that you believe the greater number should exercise greater power?
    There are lots of things wrong with the tyranny of the majority, but it still remains preferable to the tyranny of the minority.

"Hmm, the majority of the population want something that doesn't suit their betters, we'd better gag them and not allow them a say."

Strange idea of democracy you've got there.
    ???? What the hell are you on about
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar