Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Now I'm pretty neutral about Brexit generally; but there is one narrative that really

Now I'm pretty neutral about Brexit generally; but there is one narrative that really

winds me up.

Listening to some Labour MP on Radio 4 yesterday and she dragged out the 'people voted for Brexit but they did not vote to lose jobs, a lack of economic growth, a loss of access to the common market etc etc blah blah blah'.

Absolute f*cking *******s, you thick muppet. The ballot that I checked and that everyone else checked said that you wanted to Leave, and nothing else. If you voted for it, then you voted for whatever you get. If reality has shown that leaving is very difficult (how thick would you have to be to not have known that) and there is a strong possibility that we get no deal (how thick would have to be to not have known that was a potential outcome) then too f*cking bad. If you don't like those options, then you shouldn't have voted to Leave.

I yelled at the radio good n proper when she brought that nonsense up.

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    winds me up.

Listening to some Labour MP on Radio 4 yesterday and she dragged out the 'people voted for Brexit but they did not vote to lose jobs, a lack of economic growth, a loss of access to the common market etc etc blah blah blah'.

Absolute f*cking *******s, you thick muppet. The ballot that I checked and that everyone else checked said that you wanted to Leave, and nothing else. If you voted for it, then you voted for whatever you get. If reality has shown that leaving is very difficult (how thick would you have to be to not have known that) and there is a strong possibility that we get no deal (how thick would have to be to not have known that was a potential outcome) then too f*cking bad. If you don't like those options, then you shouldn't have voted to Leave.

Of course. It's predicated on the absurd, patronising notion that we 'did not know what we were voting for'. This despite the fact that the Remain camp (including the sitting government) spent the entire campaign and a lot of taxpayers' money warning us of those potential consequences.
    People still voted Leave because they saw those risks as preferable to continued membership of the EU. They voted Leave in spite of the possible negative consequences, not in ignorance of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Of course. It's predicated on the absurd, patronising notion that we 'did not know what we were voting for'. This despite the fact that the Remain camp (including the sitting government) spent the entire campaign and a lot of taxpayers' money warning us of those potential consequences.
    People still voted Leave because they saw those risks as preferable to continued membership of the EU. They voted Leave in spite of the possible negative consequences, not in ignorance of them.
    Eggsacterly.

But Labour - for political reasons - and Remainers who can't accept that they lost still drag this nonsense up. But the ones who really irritate me are those that voted Leave and who now want to moan about the potential outcome.

I reserve a special type of contempt for them.

Eggsacterly.

But Labour - for political reasons - and Remainers who can't accept that they lost still drag this nonsense up. But the ones who really irritate me are those that voted Leave and who now want to moan about the potential outcome.

I reserve a special type of contempt for them.
    I can't say I've come across a lot of those, tbh. No shortage of Leavers who believe this government's handling of Brexit has been pusillanimous, craven, incompetent and could almost have been designed to arrive at the worst possible outcome, but that's not quite the same thing.

If everyone is so clued up from paying attention to the news, how come most Leave voters think we've already left the EU?

It's almost like many of them are thick as pigshît and don't actually pay any attention to politics. Who'da thunk it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    If everyone is so clued up from paying attention to the news, how come most Leave voters think we've already left the EU?

It's almost like many of them are thick as pigshît and don't actually pay any attention to politics. Who'da thunk it?
    I'm afraid you'd have to show me some proof that this allegation has any substance whatsoever, I'm certainly not taking your word for it.

'most Leave voters think we've already left the EU'

winds me up.

All politicians are ****s. ****ing sick of them. We’ve got two parties over here who got about 14% of the vote and they’re basically stopping the country from having a government. They went to the polls as part of a four party coalition which together had 143 mandates with the other main coalition having 144 mandates. Both are unable to govern without the other standing aside (which isn’t going to happen because the last 4 years have shown its political suicide) or taking support in some form from the nationalist party who have 67 mandates.

After the election the coalition with 143 mandates and the nationalists voted to kick out the current prime minister meaning they were free to try and form a government. We’ve had two months of these two parties who got 14% trying to get the opposition coalition to stand aside and not vote against them which they’ve said not to many times. On Wednesday there’s a vote in parliament to appoint the man who they went to the polls with as their prime minister candidate and they’re going to vote against him because they don’t want to govern with support from the nationalists and want to keep having pointless talks with the opposition to try and get them to stand aside. So basically they’ve gone to the public with a manifesto which they’d be able to get through parliament over the next 4 years were they to vote yes tomorrow but will instead vote no because “morals”. I’d be fuming if I voted for them.

Is there not two separate but sometimes linked/confused issues.

People did not know what they were voting for, this is very plain and simple to understand. They were voting to Leave the EU or to stay within the EU. This essentially is the crux of your rant and for that I applaud you.

The secondary issue however, and one I have only seen alluded to as quite frankly I pay little attention to the life politic and especially when it is another’s mess, is the claim that people were openly and knowingly lied to in the run up to making their decision.

This is I have seen as the reason for a lot of anger and indeed the call for a second vote.

What confuses me further is the simple truth that people are lied to each and every time there is a vote or election of any type so why is this so different??

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    What confuses me further is the simple truth that people are lied to each and every time there is a vote or election of any type so why is this so different??
    well this time the UK is being bullied by the nasty EU gang.

oh, and the sun will disappear at 11.01am on the 29th March 2019
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    Is there not two separate but sometimes linked/confused issues.

People did not know what they were voting for, this is very plain and simple to understand. They were voting to Leave the EU or to stay within the EU. This essentially is the crux of your rant and for that I applaud you.

The secondary issue however, and one I have only seen alluded to as quite frankly I pay little attention to the life politic and especially when it is another’s mess, is the claim that people were openly and knowingly lied to in the run up to making their decision.

This is I have seen as the reason for a lot of anger and indeed the call for a second vote.

That’s a great point. I’ve thought the same over the last few months. When any politician begins a sentence with.... ‘The British people’ , my default response is to think .. Oh yeah, here we f*cking go ‘