Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So I think it's good m's young lad got a good introduction to football yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva Prat Vegas View Post
    Sir C "One of my early solo visits to Highbury was a 1-0 loss to Wolves. Dave Richards scored the goal. I'm pretty sure Andy Gray was his strike partner."

That was a shock result as Wolves were lousy that season but somehow contrived to do the Double over us
    Sammy Nelson pulled up with a back injury in the warm-up so Gatting had to step up from the bench
    Good areas, so. Wasn't John Richards just back from a lengthy injury?

It was a stooping header at the far post. North Bank end.

John Richards kept breaking legs
    His own mainly

Impressive memory you have of the goal
    Too lowly an opposition for my Dad to attend though I remember walking round some warehouse with him and him having the hump when we went one behind

Did you and the NB sing "It's flubbing cold in here?"
    10 characters? Pile of cund.

Sir C "One of my early solo visits to Highbury was a 1-0 loss to Wolves. Dave Richards scored the goal. I'm pretty sure Andy Gray was his strike partner."

That was a shock result as Wolves were lousy that season but somehow contrived to do the Double over us
    Sammy Nelson pulled up with a back injury in the warm-up so Gatting had to step up from the bench
    The thing I've never understood is how Steve and Mike Gatting look virtually nothing like one another. I imagine Steve remains grateful for this fact, since even before Malcolm Marshall broke his face, Gatt was never anyone's idea of a matinee idol.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Drawing 1-1 with Wolves at home is just the sort of result to give one credibility in those 'what was your first game?' discussions. Nobody wants to be the sort of glory boy whose first game is a 4-0 win.

Mine was a 0-0 with Southampton when I was 9. Amazingly, I went back.
    Pre-season friendly vs Portsmouth in 1980(?) I think it was 1-0 to us

John Richards kept breaking legs
    His own mainly

Impressive memory you have of the goal
    Too lowly an opposition for my Dad to attend though I remember walking round some warehouse with him and him having the hump when we went one behind

Did you and the NB sing "It's flubbing cold in here?"
    I don't remember it being cold but it was certainly dark by the end so it must have been winter time.

We subsequently beat them in the FA cup semi, didn't we?

How come I can remember this shít but I've no recollection of who we played at the weekend?

Did we play at the weekend?

Quote Originally Posted by PSRB View Post
    Pre-season friendly vs Portsmouth in 1980(?) I think it was 1-0 to us
    My first ever game was George Graham's testimonial at Selhurst Park in 1980 (the evening the SAS stormed the Iranian Embassy). A Palace side played a Chelsea side. The Palace side won 3-2.

Yes - Feb 79
    Yes
    To answer your memory question , 100% agree - We were young and fresh back then
    Strange how we past we can remember with a snap of the fingers and yet anything modern....harrumph (scratches head)

Often I have to pause with disbelief that this is the 21st Century let alone wonder which Decade this currently is
    10 characters? Pile of cund.

Yes - Feb 79
    Yes
    To answer your memory question , 100% agree - We were young and fresh back then
    Strange how we past we can remember with a snap of the fingers and yet anything modern....harrumph (scratches head)

Often I have to pause with disbelief that this is the 21st Century let alone wonder which Decade this currently is
    I've got to the stage where I've started having to actually think about what age I am. I veer between 43 and 46 and have to concentrate to remember I'm 45.

I've got to the stage where I've started having to actually think about what age I am. I veer between 43 and 46 and have to concentrate to remember I'm 45.
    45 still? That's amazing., It's like when you were 38 for three years.

The thing I've never understood is how Steve and Mike Gatting look virtually nothing like one another. I imagine Steve remains grateful for this fact, since even before Malcolm Marshall broke his face, Gatt was never anyone's idea of a matinee idol.
    Mike is looking surprisingly healthy these days. He turned up on some facebook photos on my timeline at a dinner in Galle after the Test. Needless to say he had an empty plate in front of him in most of them