Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So I think it's good m's young lad got a good introduction to football yesterday.

So I think it's good m's young lad got a good introduction to football yesterday.

Drawing 1-1 with Wolves at home is just the sort of result to give one credibility in those 'what was your first game?' discussions. Nobody wants to be the sort of glory boy whose first game is a 4-0 win.

Mine was a 0-0 with Southampton when I was 9. Amazingly, I went back.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Drawing 1-1 with Wolves at home is just the sort of result to give one credibility in those 'what was your first game?' discussions. Nobody wants to be the sort of glory boy whose first game is a 4-0 win.

Mine was a 0-0 with Southampton when I was 9. Amazingly, I went back.
    One of my early solo visits to Highbury was a 1-0 loss to Wolves. Dave Richards scored the goal. I'm pretty sure Andy Gray was his strike partner.

Funny old game.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    One of my early solo visits to Highbury was a 1-0 loss to Wolves. Dave Richards scored the goal. I'm pretty sure Andy Gray was his strike partner.

Funny old game.
    The 82-83 season was a bizarre time to commit to being an Arsenal fan, really. Brady and Stapleton (who had been their main attraction) gone. The fag end of the Neil era before the dead hand of Howe descended. Before the arrival of Charlie Nicholas when all our hopes were invested in Vladimir Petrovic and Tony Woodcock was our top goalscorer.

Mind you, the mid-70s was even worse, I suppose. Almost as if supporting football teams isn't a rational decision.

Funny old game.
    John Richards, shirley?

My first game at THOF was a 0-0 draw vs Stoke. Afterwards Alan Durban uttered his famous quote 'If you want entertainment, go to the circus'. It was supposed to be one of the two matches shown on MOTD, they showed about 2 minutes iirc. I was hooked...
    When I was young and full of rage
    I hated Tottenham to the core
    But now I've reached a gentler age
    I hate the fùckers even more.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    The 82-83 season was a bizarre time to commit to being an Arsenal fan, really. Brady and Stapleton (who had been their main attraction) gone. The fag end of the Neil era before the dead hand of Howe descended. Before the arrival of Charlie Nicholas when all our hopes were invested in Vladimir Petrovic and Tony Woodcock was our top goalscorer.

Mind you, the mid-70s was even worse, I suppose. Almost as if supporting football teams isn't a rational decision.
    When I was young the TV used to show the top 6 of the league table, then the bottom 6. So I never had any idea where we were in the table. Somewhere in the middle, presumably.

The first team I used to go and watch live was that of Brady, Rix, Sunderland and Stapleton, so it did have some merits. I liked David Price best. I liked his hair and his kind face.

Quote Originally Posted by 71 Guns - channeling the spirit of Mr Hat View Post
    John Richards, shirley?

My first game at THOF was a 0-0 draw vs Stoke. Afterwards Alan Durban uttered his famous quote 'If you want entertainment, go to the circus'. It was supposed to be one of the two matches shown on MOTD, they showed about 2 minutes iirc. I was hooked...
    Yes, John Richards. Brainfárt.

Haha I was at that Stoke game as well. It was one thing Stoke being dull and defensive, the trouble was, we weren't much better.

When I was young the TV used to show the top 6 of the league table, then the bottom 6. So I never had any idea where we were in the table. Somewhere in the middle, presumably.

The first team I used to go and watch live was that of Brady, Rix, Sunderland and Stapleton, so it did have some merits. I liked David Price best. I liked his hair and his kind face.
    I do think the relentless mediocrity of much of the period 1980-85 does offer some mitigation of the fans' readiness to embrace George Graham and his strange and refreshing interest in actually winning things rather than pootling about in mid-table turning into Aston Villa.

Yes, John Richards. Brainfárt.

Haha I was at that Stoke game as well. It was one thing Stoke being dull and defensive, the trouble was, we weren't much better.
    Indeed. Fans today don't know they're born...
    When I was young and full of rage
    I hated Tottenham to the core
    But now I've reached a gentler age
    I hate the fùckers even more.

Sir C "One of my early solo visits to Highbury was a 1-0 loss to Wolves. Dave Richards scored the goal. I'm pretty sure Andy Gray was his strike partner."

That was a shock result as Wolves were lousy that season but somehow contrived to do the Double over us
    Sammy Nelson pulled up with a back injury in the warm-up so Gatting had to step up from the bench
    10 characters? Pile of cund.

Burney "Mine was a 0-0 with Southampton when I was 9."

Ooh that might be Easter '83
    2 days later, Spurs whipped us 5-0
    10 characters? Pile of cund.