Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can't believe we haven't covered the Grenfell effigy furore.

Can't believe we haven't covered the Grenfell effigy furore.

So quite a lot of people seem comfortable with the idea that jokes in bad taste are a matter for the police these days.

Thus does freedom die - not with a bang, but with a whimper.

I really am starting to think we need a First Amendment-type thing in this country.

Let's not shy away from the fact that it was actually quite funny, too.

I mean, if they'd done it apropros of nothing, that would be kinda weird. But in the context of it being done for Bonfire Night, I was rather impressed by the imagination and detail that went into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    So quite a lot of people seem comfortable with the idea that jokes in bad taste are a matter for the police these days.

Thus does freedom die - not with a bang, but with a whimper.

I really am starting to think we need a First Amendment-type thing in this country.
    Last edited by Monty92; 11-07-2018 at 10:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post

I mean, if they'd done it apropros of nothing, that would be kinda weird. But in the context of it being done for Bonfire Night, I was rather impressed by the imagination and detail that went into it.
    It isn't funny, really, is it?

Who goes to all that trouble of making the thing for 'a joke'? Then records it and posts it on social media?

Pondlife imo
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

**** me, you have a strange sense of humour if you think that was funny
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

I mean, if they'd done it apropros of nothing, that would be kinda weird. But int the context of it being done for Bonfire Night, I was rather impressed by the imagination that went into it.
    Oh, yes. and the work that went into it.

The idea that we're all aghast at the notion of a bad taste joke is just one of the hypocritical nonsenses of the whole thing. I've laughed at much worse - and I know that many of those who are pearl-clutching about it have, too.

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post
    It isn't funny, really, is it?

Who goes to all that trouble of making the thing for 'a joke'? Then records it and posts it on social media?

Pondlife imo
    Why isn't it funny? Because people died? So what? I've heard jokes about any number of disasters and tragedies over the years - from the Challenger disaster, the Herald of Free Enterprise disaster, Hillsborough and 9/11. There is always scope for a joke.

No, the thing that makes people tiptoe around this joke more than others is simply that they fear there's a hint of racism to it and want to distance themselves from that rather than the joke itself.

Oh, yes. and the work that went into it.

The idea that we're all aghast at the notion of a bad taste joke is just one of the hypocritical nonsenses of the whole thing. I've laughed at much worse - and I know that many of those who are pearl-clutching about it have, too.
    The only legitimate question is whether posting that kind of material on social media should be a police matter. I'm open to the argument that it should (in spite of the Pandora's box this would inevitably open), but as you say the hypocritical pearl clutching from people who have doubtless sniggered or made light of tragedies themselves has been utterly hilarious to witness.

What's this all about then?

I've been on hols.

Why isn't it funny? Because people died? So what? I've heard jokes about any number of disasters and tragedies over the years - from the Challenger disaster, the Herald of Free Enterprise disaster, Hillsborough and 9/11. There is always scope for a joke.

No, the thing that makes people tiptoe around this joke more than others is simply that they fear there's a hint of racism to it and want to distance themselves from that rather than the joke itself.
    What isn't funny about it, for me, is the effort that they went to make the 'joke'.

A quick quip, about any tragedy, might be humourous. I can agree on that. The joke is in the humourous element not the context of the tragedy.

To go out of your way to make a piss poor Blue Peter version of a tower block then throw it on a fire, then film it while applying 'commentary', then posting it on social media AND then not expecting a backlash?

If I went to all that effort to make a joke about Grenfell and that video was the outcome . . . I doubt I'd win any comedy awards.
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    What's this all about then?

I've been on hols.
    A bunch of laughing people in a private garden made an effigy of Grenfell Tower, complete with cut out figures of people screaming at open windows, and dumped it on a bonfire for Bonfire Night. A few off colour comments were made while it went up in flames, including calling one of the Burka-clad residents a "ninja" and "that's what happens when you don't pay your rent"

All good and healthy fun had by normal people blissfully detached from our censorious society. But then it got posted on social media