Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Can't believe we haven't covered the Grenfell effigy furore.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I read plenty of comments saying that these people's lives should be ruined for doing this. Nobody seemed to consider that there would be innocent victims of such ruination - not least their kids. But there's nothing as ruthless and repulsive as the self-righteous mob.
    Sure, but those comments can be blandly made precisely because nowadays, it's practically impossible to ruin anyone's life.

Lose your job? Bof! Just get another one. Wife? Family? Never liked them much anyway. And so on.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    I confess I find it all rather troubling and not a little frightening.
    I must admit I do wonder whether people will eventually realise that the risks engendered by being on social media are not matched by its rewards and will start to desert the platforms in droves. Then maybe we could return to a sane society?

Probably wishful thinking, of course. People are fùcking idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    Sure, but those comments can be blandly made precisely because nowadays, it's practically impossible to ruin anyone's life.

Lose your job? Bof! Just get another one. Wife? Family? Never liked them much anyway. And so on.
    But imagine being the sort of person who actually wants to ruin someone's life! Imagine being that bloodlessly vindictive? I can understand - even sympathise with - hating someone so much you wish them dead, but there's something so repulsive about wanting to see someone's life ruined.

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post
    it shouldn't be a police matter.

in years gone by, it would have been a private 'joke' amongst like-minded vermin, that was never mentioned again after the event.

it just goes to prove that once you post something on the internet, you've lost any control over it and it may come back and bit you squarely on the arse.
    And I rather hope that the unspeakable ****s that posted the video are susbsequently ruined.

I must admit I do wonder whether people will eventually realise that the risks engendered by being on social media are not matched by its rewards and will start to desert the platforms in droves. Then maybe we could return to a sane society?

We are all peoples b, including you.

Hundreds of people work for months on the various effigies burnt at Lewes every year. They can't all be pondlife.*

* Maybe they are, how would I know?
    I don't know. Maybe people that have bonfires in the back garden of their terraced house qualify as pondlife?
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

But imagine being the sort of person who actually wants to ruin someone's life! Imagine being that bloodlessly vindictive? I can understand - even sympathise with - hating someone so much you wish them dead, but there's something so repulsive about wanting to see someone's life ruined.
    It's just a figure of speech, I think
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post
    I don't know. Maybe people that have bonfires in the back garden of their terraced house qualify as pondlife?
    Of course. This is a class thing. Nobody, of course, wants to see it as a legitimate expression of contempt for and exasperation with the way in which the media and political classes have cynically weaponised Grenfell as a tool for furthering a broader and unpopular pro-multicultural, pro-immigration agenda. It is that, of course. But nobody wants to acknowledge that.

Hundreds of people work for months on the various effigies burnt at Lewes every year. They can't all be pondlife.*

* Maybe they are, how would I know?
    I'd never heard of the festival. Impressive, I thought, like Carnival, Hoppediz.

Shared amongst a private group on whatsapp supposedly - one of whom decided it would be a great idea to share it further, whether for shìts n giggles or to stir things up it isn't clear.
    When I was young and full of rage
    I hated Tottenham to the core
    But now I've reached a gentler age
    I hate the fùckers even more.