Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Can't believe we haven't covered the Grenfell effigy furore.

10 characters? Pile of cund.

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert Augustus Chapman View Post
    And I rather hope that the unspeakable ****s that posted the video are susbsequently ruined.
    Well said H. It was a disgusting thing to do. There’s absolutely no humour element in it whatsoever. The effort that went into it says it all. It’s far more than a casual quip that follows a disaster.
    It reminds me of the type of c*nt who laughs at animal cruelty, packaged as entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by 7sisters View Post
    Well said H. It was a disgusting thing to do. There’s absolutely no humour element in it whatsoever. The effort that went into it says it all. It’s far more than a casual quip that follows a disaster.
    It reminds me of the type of c*nt who laughs at animal cruelty, packaged as entertainment.
    But there are many people who would consider your "casual quips following a disaster" to be disgusting too.

It doesn't have to be either disgusting or funny. It can simply be banal. Which is pretty much the worst I'd say about this particular incident.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    But there are many people who would consider your "casual quips following a disaster" to be disgusting too.

It doesn't have to be either disgusting or funny. It can simply be banal. Which is pretty much the worst I'd say about this particular incident.
    ah yes, but much easier to say 'sorry' (if necessary) for a quip than it is it to explain how you and your wife made a cardboard miniature tower block and took it around to your friends to burn on a bonfire for a laugh...
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post
    ah yes, but much easier to say 'sorry' (if necessary) for a quip than it is it to explain how you and your wife made a cardboard miniature tower block and took it around to your friends to burn on a bonfire for a laugh...
    But it's not always much easier. It was only a few months ago that someone was PUT IN PRISON for a "quip" that involved him getting his pet dog to do impressions of Hitler. A quip that probably took a similar amount of time to set up as the Grenfell effigy.

Quote Originally Posted by 7sisters View Post
    Of course there's humour in it. The sheer trangressive nature of it has comedic worth. Anyone who's ever laughed at one of Jimmy Carr or Frankie Boyle's edgier jokes is laughing in no small part at the 'unsayable' nature of what they've said. This is no different. The whole point is the bad taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    But it's not always much easier. It was only a few months ago that someone was PUT IN PRISON for a "quip" that involved him getting his pet dog to do impressions of Hitler. A quip that probably took a similar amount of time to set up as the Grenfell effigy.
    Um - if you're going to emphasise a point by putting it in capitals, you'd think you'd check your facts. Assuming you are referring to Count Dankula, he wasn't put in prison

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Why isn't it funny? Because people died? So what? I've heard jokes about any number of disasters and tragedies over the years - from the Challenger disaster, the Herald of Free Enterprise disaster, Hillsborough and 9/11. There is always scope for a joke.

No, the thing that makes people tiptoe around this joke more than others is simply that they fear there's a hint of racism to it and want to distance themselves from that rather than the joke itself.
    Yes but the victims here were brown people so it's off limits.

What are we upset about here?

Is it a joke that may or may not have been in poor taste or that the police have got involved?

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    So quite a lot of people seem comfortable with the idea that jokes in bad taste are a matter for the police these days.

Thus does freedom die - not with a bang, but with a whimper.

I really am starting to think we need a First Amendment-type thing in this country.
    "Scoring a goal is better than sex" - Whoever said that was sticking it to the wrong woman

Quote Originally Posted by Alberto Balsam Rodriguez View Post
    What are we upset about here?

Is it a joke that may or may not have been in poor taste or that the police have got involved?
    The involvement of the police in what was supposed to be a private joke is egregious and fairly chilling, don't you think?

Also, the determination of the mob to figuratively lynch anyone who dares step outside the arbitrary orthodoxies of 'decency' is getting very fůcking wearing.