Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: So the Health Secretary's comments that possibly, just possibly, putting a bit more

So the Health Secretary's comments that possibly, just possibly, putting a bit more

emphasis on personal responsibility could play a part in our broader efforts as a society to reduce the obesity epidemic, and the reaction is both predictable and depressing in equal measure.

I think I've pretty much arrived at a point where I would say that there's more truth, meaning and honesty in the Great Religions (for all their glaring and discredting flaws) than in contemporary secular culture. And I speak as a pretty militant atheist.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    emphasis on personal responsibility could play a part in our broader efforts as a society to reduce the obesity epidemic, and the reaction is both predictable and depressing in equal measure.

I think I've pretty much arrived at a point where I would say that there's more truth, meaning and honesty in the Great Religions (for all their glaring and discredting flaws) than in contemporary secular culture. And I speak as a pretty militant atheist.
    I do find it rather odd that we're not allowed to fat shame but yet, there's a massive problem with obesity
    Last edited by PSRB; 11-05-2018 at 12:15 PM.

Did you see the fatso on the cover of Octobers Cosmopolitan ?
    10 characters? Pile of cund.

Quote Originally Posted by PSRB View Post
    I do it rather odd that we're not allowed to fat shame but yet, there's a massive problem with obesity
    Well quite. It ignores the fact that public shame is a tremendous tool for regulating excessive, aberrant or damaging behaviour - one that society has employed for millennia. Of course there were areas where it was inappropriate, but I can't help but feel we've thrown the baby out with the bathwater. Once you remove shame, it's hardly to be wondered at that damaging behaviours proliferate.
    Last edited by Burney; 11-05-2018 at 12:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Well quite. It ignores the fact that public shame is a tremendous tool for regulating excessive, aberrant or damaging behaviour - one that society has employed for millennia. Of course there were areas where it was inappropriate, but I can't help but feel we've thrown the baby out with the bathwater. Once you remove shame, it's hardly to be wondered at that damaging behaviours proliferate.
    Of course there was a time when a chap who was drawn to put his peter in other chaps’ dung would have done so discreetly, to avoid shaming and chemical castration. Then David Cameron decided that a man can marry a man.

It is a sick world. Thanks Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Of course there was a time when a chap who was drawn to put his peter in other chaps’ dung would have done so discreetly, to avoid shaming and chemical castration. Then David Cameron decided that a man can marry a man.

It is a sick world. Thanks Dave.
    I wouldn't mind so much if the tendency towards laissez-faire non-judgementalism weren't quite so selective in its targets.

Thus, if you want to fire it up some other chap or prance around in a frock calling yourself Gloria and demand you go to a women's prison when you (inevitably) commit a sexual offence, you're golden.
    If, on the other hand, you want to smoke a cigarette within 200 yards of a child, you're a monster.

Good man. Become a Vedic. Ganpati is the remover of obstacles and Shiva saves humanity by getting off his head.

I'm fairly convinced that there is an incredibly vocal minority on each side of a chasm. Most of us regard both sides as ridiculous, even if we have a little more empathy with of those sides.