Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Well that was pretty wânk, wasn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    We're four points better off than we were at the same stage last season and have the same number of points as the season before.

We definitely haven't got any worse, I'll give you that
    I would say that it's reasonable that Emery would have as his goal for the first season CL football as a minimum benchmark of progress. Anything less than that and questions can very reasonably be asked, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokster View Post
    So looking at those 2 facts, we are getting better... wd Monty for admitting progress has been made
    Progress so tentative it's barely worth pointing out other than to say "Well, at least we've not got worse".

In fact, that's arguably the biggest positive so far. We don't appear to be suffering an identity crisis, which could have been expected after Wenger left. The players looked energised pretty much from Emery's first match.
    Last edited by Monty92; 11-05-2018 at 11:03 AM.

One thing I have 100% noticed is the energy and tempo appears to have increased.
    We also seem to keep our heads up when we concede.

I think it was Kolosinac laying on the floor after the Liverpool goal. somebody picked him up immediately.

Progress so tentative it's barely worth pointing out other than to say "Well, at least we've not got worse".

In fact, that's the biggest positive so far. We don't appear to be suffering an identity crisis, which could have been expected after he left.
    What nonsense is this? What 'progress' could one reasonably expect? It was clear that he was going to have to dismantle the tacts, the training, the preparation - everything that Wenger instigated over 20 years, and rebuild it. We could reasonably have expected to have struggled at least for a season while he tried to build something new. Instead, we've played some decent stuff, beaten teams we might expect to beat, and played extremely well against one of the best two sides in the country and earnt a creditable draw.

I'd call that a remarkable beginning. Arsene doesn't need defending here. Arsene's gone.

In fact, that's arguably the biggest positive so far. We don't appear to be suffering an identity crisis, which could have been expected after he left. The players looked energised pretty much from his first match.
    I'd agree with that. It's no easy thing to follow a chap who'd been there 20 years and keep things on an even keel. David Moyes at United would be the obvious example. It could be argued that Emery has succeeded simply by virtue of not failing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    What nonsense is this? What 'progress' could one reasonably expect? It was clear that he was going to have to dismantle the tacts, the training, the preparation - everything that Wenger instigated over 20 years, and rebuild it. We could reasonably have expected to have struggled at least for a season while he tried to build something new. Instead, we've played some decent stuff, beaten teams we might expect to beat, and played extremely well against one of the best two sides in the country and earnt a creditable draw.

I'd call that a remarkable beginning. Arsene doesn't need defending here. Arsene's gone.
    I think the fact that Wenger left under a pretty heavy and long-standing cloud means that us not imploding under the new fella is not quite as impressive as it would have been for, say, David Moyes, who took over a title winning team.

But I don't think we're in fierce disagreement here.

I think the fact that Wenger left under a pretty heavy and long-standing cloud means that us not imploding under the new fella is not quite as impressive as it would have been for, say, David Moyes, who took over a title winning team.

But I don't think we're in fierce disagreement here.
    You also have to factor in that the Wengerahti have quite a lot of capital invested in talking the new guy up, having been baying for AW's blood for the best part of a decade. That's meant that in effect, Josef Goebbels could have turned up and he'd have got a positive reception from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    You also have to factor in that the Wengerahti have quite a lot of capital invested in talking the new guy up, having been baying for AW's blood for the best part of a decade. That's meant that in effect, Josef Goebbels could have turned up and he'd have got a positive reception from them.
    Indeed. Compare the reaction to when Wenger occasionally played Aubameyang on the wing to when Emery does it.

And can you imagine if Wenger had played Xhaha or Iwobi at left back?

Wenger played Reiss-Nelson there instead
    10 characters? Pile of cund.