Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Being an Arsenal fan at the moment is a bit like having a new sexual partner after

Relax m, and learn to enjoy life under a new regime. We could be 10th by January but it wouldn't matter that much in the new mans tenure. He's already proven that a fresh start brings a new lift. The entire club has a spring in its step and his tinkering with the squad can only be assessed as minor at this point. It's unlikely that any manager coming in will be ever be able to hold a candle to Wenger's achievements, which itself brings its own pressures. Who'd not feel intimidated by following that act ?
    Most of us thought we'd have a difficult season, he'll no doubt continue to strengthen the squad, even though funding looks to be an issue, but lets at least give him some credit for getting a new tune out of an old fiddle.

Things that have improved under Unai so far:
    1) we have the defensive midfielder we have needed for so long and that Wenger consistently refused to buy often then forcing players into the role who didn't really fit i.e. Arteta, Xhaka
    2) he's getting rid of Ramsey
    3) it was mentioned on Sky the other day and even though it hadn't occurred to me I think they were right, we seem fitter
    4) you can see young players getting better i.e. Iwobi, Bellerin, who seemed to be stagnating under Wenger
    5) he's getting rid of Ramsey
    6) Poorly performing players are being hooked early on i.e. Ramsey, Ozil
    7) he makes more daring substitutions and his substitutions are having an impact, much more so than under Wenger
    8) he's getting rid of Ramsey

Things that look worse under Unai so far:
    1) we're more open at the back although I would argue that our defending when we are under pressure seems better; possibly because of Torreira, possibly because the players are in better positions to recover
    2) we still don't look comfortable playing out from the back and 1) is often because of mistakes made when we're doing it
    3) it isn't yet absolutely certain that he's getting rid of Ramsey

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    Things that have improved under Unai so far:
    1) we have the defensive midfielder we have needed for so long and that Wenger consistently refused to buy often then forcing players into the role who didn't really fit i.e. Arteta, Xhaka
    2) he's getting rid of Ramsey
    3) it was mentioned on Sky the other day and even though it hadn't occurred to me I think they were right, we seem fitter
    4) you can see young players getting better i.e. Iwobi, Bellerin, who seemed to be stagnating under Wenger
    5) he's getting rid of Ramsey
    6) Poorly performing players are being hooked early on i.e. Ramsey, Ozil
    7) he makes more daring substitutions and his substitutions are having an impact, much more so than under Wenger
    8) he's getting rid of Ramsey

Things that look worse under Unai so far:
    1) we're more open at the back although I would argue that our defending when we are under pressure seems better; possibly because of Torreira, possibly because the players are in better positions to recover
    2) we still don't look comfortable playing out from the back and 1) is often because of mistakes made when we're doing it
    3) it isn't yet absolutely certain that he's getting rid of Ramsey
    That's all lovely. As long as you're aware of the risk that "better substitutions" becomes the new "4th placed trophy".

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    That's all lovely. As long as you're aware of the risk that "better substitutions" becomes the new "4th placed trophy".
    Actually, given that a top 4 finish and above Tottenham is the best we can hope for this season, it will be interesting to hear how this is much better when Emery does it than it was when AW did it FOR EIGHTEEN FÙCKING YEARS!

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Actually, given that a top 4 finish and above Tottenham is the best we can hope for this season, it will be interesting to hear how this is much better when Emery does it than it was when AW did it FOR EIGHTEEN FÙCKING YEARS!
    There was the idea that only Wenger could achieve this, I suppose. Whereas perhaps a different manager might've even actually won us the European Cup six or seven years ago.

Who knows. Who can say.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

It's freedom. That is, it's freedom from, as much as it is freedom to. As though you never really liked the bird in the first place but cheery fate and realistic circumstances arranged themselves so that you ended up being stuck with her for a considerable length of time. Anyway, far longer than anyone'd imagined possible.

I feel we are free to be just a football team again, rather than some sort of Elsässisches soccerball-related socio-economic science project. Once again we can watch a young Arsenal player make a simple pass against Abingdon Town in the Carling Cup without speculating as to whether he'll be able to do that in the Champions League final in five years time against Real Madrid. Or even for Real Madrid.

I'm not sure it's about progress; that sounds like a straw man argument, at least where actual football is concerned. Off the pitch, of course, the club has taken a quantum leap forward, in no small part thanks to Wenger.

years with the same one. The thrill is not so much in the fact that it's better flesh as different flesh.

I mean, it’s not as if we haven’t been here before in recent memory, considering the possibility we’re ready to challenge. People talk as if we’ve been totally devoid of hope for years and years, but in actual fact last season was the first in which there wasn’t a single period where it looked possible that we might challenge.

So while the current optimism is entirely natural and justified, it does feel a bit like people are simply enjoying the fact they’re getting to stick it in a new bird for the first time in years. Alas, the new bird won’t be a new bird forever.

Anyway, all of which is to say I’m not really sure what would represent progress under the new fella, but I don’t think we’re quite there yet, unless you measure progress as ‘anything different that isn’t demonstrably worse’. I guess being in touch with the top by the end of October already feels like a step forward, but ultimately anything short of returning us to the CL will have to be considered 'not progress'. And no armchair analysis about "improved work rate" or "the midfielder we've been waiting for" will change that.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Being an Arsenal fan at the moment is a bit like having a new sexual partner after years with the same one.
    From the man who rode one woman in his life and ended up where he is now.

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    3. You do realise in certain quarters when improved and perhaps more intensive training sessions result in an improved physical output it simply MUST be drugs.

4. Too soon. Both have done very well in a short period. Not sure we ca really say they are better footballers, just performing better at this moment in time.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    3. You do realise in certain quarters when improved and perhaps more intensive training sessions result in an improved physical output it simply MUST be drugs.

4. Too soon. Both have done very well in a short period. Not sure we ca really say they are better footballers, just performing better at this moment in time.
    Agreed on 4. With respect to 3, do I look like an obsessed Belgian?

Oh, hold on.