Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Being an Arsenal fan at the moment is a bit like having a new sexual partner after

Being an Arsenal fan at the moment is a bit like having a new sexual partner after

years with the same one. The thrill is not so much in the fact that it's better flesh as different flesh.

I mean, it’s not as if we haven’t been here before in recent memory, considering the possibility we’re ready to challenge. People talk as if we’ve been totally devoid of hope for years and years, but in actual fact last season was the first in which there wasn’t a single period where it looked possible that we might challenge.

So while the current optimism is entirely natural and justified, it does feel a bit like people are simply enjoying the fact they’re getting to stick it in a new bird for the first time in years. Alas, the new bird won’t be a new bird forever.

Anyway, all of which is to say I’m not really sure what would represent progress under the new fella, but I don’t think we’re quite there yet, unless you measure progress as ‘anything different that isn’t demonstrably worse’. I guess being in touch with the top by the end of October already feels like a step forward, but ultimately anything short of returning us to the CL will have to be considered 'not progress'. And no armchair analysis about "improved work rate" or "the midfielder we've been waiting for" will change that.
    Last edited by Monty92; 10-24-2018 at 09:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    Anyway, all of which is to say I’m not really sure what would represent progress under the new fella...
    What? Like having more points? Higher up the table?

And. Everyone likes a bit of strange, Shirley?

Judge him in May. Etc.
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

years with the same one. The thrill is not so much in the fact that it's better flesh as different flesh.

I mean, it’s not as if we haven’t been here before in recent memory, considering the possibility we’re ready to challenge. People talk as if we’ve been totally devoid of hope for years and years, but in actual fact last season was the first in which there wasn’t a single period where it looked possible that we might challenge.

So while the current optimism is entirely natural and justified, it does feel a bit like people are simply enjoying the fact they’re getting to stick it in a new bird for the first time in years. Alas, the new bird won’t be a new bird forever.

Anyway, all of which is to say I’m not really sure what would represent progress under the new fella, but I don’t think we’re quite there yet, unless you measure progress as ‘anything different that isn’t demonstrably worse’. I guess being in touch with the top by the end of October already feels like a step forward, but ultimately anything short of returning us to the CL will have to be considered 'not progress'. And no armchair analysis about "improved work rate" or "the midfielder we've been waiting for" will change that.
    Way too much information, old kid. You're inviting me to imagine you having sexual congress, which is a lot.

A bit like your old partner only wanting to do it in 1 position, would never try out anything new or exciting and always left you thinking how much better it could have been over the last few years? You now get a new partner who seems as though they want to try new things out at least once, and if it is something that doesn't give you pleasure will change if before you finish so that you get a happy ending??
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

Absolutely. But the current assumption is that
    different equals better. The thrill of the new.

His early substitutions are different to Wenger’s, but whether they are better can only be judged by our long term results. In that regard there’s plenty of cause for optimism, but it nonetheless feels a little premature to say anything more.

If Unai sticks around long enough and ultimately disappoints, we’ll start craving another manager who does things differently, maybe even one a bit more like Wenger

Quote Originally Posted by Pokster View Post
    A bit like your old partner only wanting to do it in 1 position, would never try out anything new or exciting and always left you thinking how much better it could have been over the last few years? You now get a new partner who seems as though they want to try new things out at least once, and if it is something that doesn't give you pleasure will change if before you finish so that you get a happy ending??

His early substitutions are different to Wenger’s, but whether they are better can only be judged by our long term results. In that regard there’s plenty of cause for optimism, but it nonetheless feels a little premature to say anything more.

If Unai sticks around long enough and ultimately disappoints, we’ll start craving another manager who does things differently, maybe even one a bit more like Wenger
    Not like your obsessed or anything Monty old bean.

Have you wondered recently why almost every post you make that is football related is about Wenger leaving and never about the current team, how well or poorly we played, what the new players are like etc etc?

I mean, you do still support Arsenal Football Club, don't you?

I think most fans would have thought things were either going to stay pretty much the same with a new manager or might improve... on current form the later looks to be the case, I don't know anyone who thinks we will win the league but the early signs are that the players are enjoying themselves more and the new manager has improved what we had
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    Not like your obsessed or anything Monty old bean.

Have you wondered recently why almost every post you make that is football related is about Wenger leaving and never about the current team, how well or poorly we played, what the new players are like etc etc?

I mean, you do still support Arsenal Football Club, don't you?
    You'd probably find that my football related posts have gradually reduced over the years, certainly from before a time when I realised that my razor sharp technical and tactical analysis would be lost on you guys.

But seriously, yes, what an outrageous idea that someone whose affections for his club were strongly tied up with one dominant individual would allow their interest to dissipate once that individual was gone.

Soppy and sentimental, sure. But a big nosed cancer deserving ****? Feels a little harsh

Quote Originally Posted by Pokster View Post
    I think most fans would have thought things were either going to stay pretty much the same with a new manager or might improve... on current form the later looks to be the case, I don't know anyone who thinks we will win the league but the early signs are that the players are enjoying themselves more and the new manager has improved what we had
    Generally agree. I think we look defensively slightly weaker, but that could be explained by the players getting used to the slight tactical changes. Attacking wise things look quite interesting and it is refreshing to see new attacking patterns after so many years of the same.

You'd probably find that my football related posts have gradually reduced over the years, certainly from before a time when I realised that my razor sharp technical and tactical analysis would be lost on you guys.

But seriously, yes, what an outrageous idea that someone whose affections for his club were strongly tied up with one dominant individual would allow their interest to dissipate once that individual was gone.

Soppy and sentimental, sure. But a big nosed cancer deserving ****? Feels a little harsh
    I probably had as much of a hard on for Vieira as you did for Wenger but when we sold him I was glad because I could see the degradation in his play and it hurt me to watch it.

The same happened to me with Wenger from about 2010-2012 and by 2012 I came to the conclusion that for the good of the club and Wenger himself, he needed to go. Now each year post 2012 there was some point in the season when I found something that gave me hope that I was wrong and that he was about to turn it around. And every time I was wrong.

You just need to grow up a bit, Monty. Or address your mental health issues, there's loads of support about nowadays.