Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: No Deal it is, then. :rubshands:

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    First, you prevent them coming by making it not worth their while - no rights to employment, housing, welfare or health provision, etc, etc (as we'll be free to do when not in the EU). They'll soon fùck off back to the Republic - and if they don't, you physically deport them.
    Also, you can impose stringent identity checks on such migrants to tell you who is or isn't in your country and severely limit their rights. They can also be prevented from travelling from NI to the mainland (as we used to with certain people during the Troubles).
    This does raise the broader point of an effective border between the Republic and the rest of the UK, a border which has never really existed in any modern sense. This means I am going to have to show my passport tothat **** at Stansted. He is going to love this....

What you are really doing is leaving Northern Ireland open and keeping a mainland border. If a hard border on the island is unacceptable then this really is the only option.

I still dont see why this has to mean no deal. It sounds like *******s to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Under particular customs arrangements, yes. Who knows what further possibilities will present themselves?

(I haven't got the enrgy for it, if truth be told.)
    On the plus side SC, in true car trader tradition, how long will it take before those manufacturing RHD vehicles crack under the strain of an ever growing inventory, clogging up their storage fields and murdering their cash flows ?

Quote Originally Posted by 7sisters View Post
    On the plus side SC, in true car trader tradition, how long will it take before those manufacturing RHD vehicles crack under the strain of an ever growing inventory, clogging up their storage fields and murdering their cash flows ?
    Their storage fields are currently filled to bursting as they try to import loads of stock to make some profit before they start getting charged import duties

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    This does raise the broader point of an effective border between the Republic and the rest of the UK, a border which has never really existed in any modern sense. This means I am going to have to show my passport tothat **** at Stansted. He is going to love this....

What you are really doing is leaving Northern Ireland open and keeping a mainland border. If a hard border on the island is unacceptable then this really is the only option.

I still dont see why this has to mean no deal. It sounds like *******s to me.
    As with any 'intractable' diplomatic problem, it simply screams out for a fudge in which one thing is said and quite another done. So either an 'open' border which is actually manned or a 'hard' border that is not enforced. Unfortunately, there does seem to be too little flexibility or subtlety being shown by either side to achieve such a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    As with any 'intractable' diplomatic problem, it simply screams out for a fudge in which one thing is said and quite another done. So either an 'open' border which is actually manned or a 'hard' border that is not enforced. Unfortunately, there does seem to be too little flexibility or subtlety being shown by either side to achieve such a thing.
    Why cant they all just **** off and get on with it? Border, no border, who gives a ****.

Bunch of whining ****s.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Why cant they all just **** off and get on with it? Border, no border, who gives a ****.

Bunch of whining ****s.
    It's the Irish, I'm afraid. They can't be trusted to behave decently. Here we have the self-infantilisation of a naturally subject people swearing blind that unless they get what they want, they'll have no choice but to start blowing the legs off policemen again and it'll be none of their responsibility. It's fùcking pathetic.

As the Great Lady put it: "You can't trust the Irish. They are all liars."