Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: No Deal it is, then. :rubshands:

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    It's not up to me mate. I don't know who you think I am, but I'm not the King of Europe.
    My point is that it appears to be a problem and,m if it is, it isnt solved by leaving without a deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Hang on, I thought we were jumping up and down with excitement about being in control of our own borders.... apart from that one?

Wont all the nasty foreigners just land in Dublin and then enter the UK in the North before slowly making their way to your neighbourhood, and mine?
    Err...we would be in control of our borders. We'd be choosing to keep that one open - or not. And then we'd be entitled to set our own immigration and naturalisation laws that could control such things.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Why would anyone, even a thick paddy, think it appropriate to blow up a customs oifficial?

It's just silly.
    Of course it is silly but he would be a symbol, or the most obvious recognisable symbol of the British Government which had forced the re-enforcement of the border on the island of Ireland.

Entirely innocent of course but then a lot of your casualties in the Troubles were.

Loads of nutters still mooching around, on both sides. Not sure they will be too arsed about fighting each other so your boys will be next in line. Nothing may ever happen, hopefully not, but the threat will be back for the first time in over 20 years or whatever.

Sad scenes.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Err...we would be in control of our borders. We'd be choosing to keep that one open - or not. And then we'd be entitled to set our own immigration and naturalisation laws that could control such things.
    So we would exercise our control of our border by not having a border? That makes a lot of sense

And how do you go about enforcing an immigration law without a border?

I believe others have considered some sort of wall in similar scenarios....

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    Of course it is silly but he would be a symbol, or the most obvious recognisable symbol of the British Government which had forced the re-enforcement of the border on the island of Ireland.

Entirely innocent of course but then a lot of your casualties in the Troubles were.

Loads of nutters still mooching around, on both sides. Not sure they will be too arsed about fighting each other so your boys will be next in line. Nothing may ever happen, hopefully not, but the threat will be back for the first time in over 20 years or whatever.

Sad scenes.
    I seriously doubt there is the political will or capability to support any sort of large-scale return to terrorism. There are no serious numbers interested in starting the Troubles up again. An entire generation has grown up in peace - you might get a couple of nutter dinosaurs blowing up fertiliser bombs or shooting at a customs official, but the chances of it going back to anything like the bad times is pretty much zero.

I seriously doubt there is the political will or capability to support any sort of large-scale return to terrorism. There are no serious numbers interested in starting the Troubles up again. An entire generation has grown up in peace - you might get a couple of nutter dinosaurs blowing up fertiliser bombs or shooting at a customs official, but the chances of it going back to anything like the bad times is pretty much zero.
    100% bu t then even 1 isolated incident such as those above would be hugely regrettable in this day and age.

It is the isolated lunatics who can be the most dangerous.

So we would exercise our control of our border by not having a border? That makes a lot of sense

First, you prevent them coming by making it not worth their while - no rights to employment, housing, welfare or health provision, etc, etc (as we'll be free to do when not in the EU). They'll soon fůck off back to the Republic - and if they don't, you physically deport them.
    Also, you can impose stringent identity checks on such migrants to tell you who is or isn't in your country and severely limit their rights. They can also be prevented from travelling from NI to the mainland (as we used to with certain people during the Troubles).

Keep NI open but have all people coming to the mainland subject to full customs.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Vegas View Post
    Keep NI open but have all people coming to the mainland subject to full customs.
    This is what will almost certainly happen anyway. it's not as if we've never treated NI as an effectively separate country in the past anyway. We treat it as a special case all the time.

This is what will almost certainly happen anyway. it's not as if we've never treated NI as an effectively separate country in the past anyway. We treat it as a special case all the time.
    Do adverts (especially those regarding insurance) still say "...excludes Northern Ireland"

I don't see too many adverts nowadays...
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”