Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Some cùnt on Twitter has just asserted that the bombings of Rotterdam and Dresden

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    were morally equivalent.

I had to point out that that logic only held good if you took the view that the Nazis' and the Allies' reasons for waging war were morally equivalent.

Seriously, what the fùck is wrong with people these days?
    Are you not confusing two issues here? THe reasons for fighting a war and the manner in which you fight it.

For example, woulda mass genocide committed by the Allies have been morally acceptable on the grounds that Hitler was worse? I doubt it.

THe morality of bombing urban areas is not a new argument and has nothing to do with men wearing dresses. It was long debated at the time and retains some of the original concerns. I think bomber command is fairly open about the fact that one of the big reasons for switching from military targets to cities was that they weren't actually capable of hitting the military targets- youcant miss a city.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Are you not confusing two issues here? THe reasons for fighting a war and the manner in which you fight it.

For example, woulda mass genocide committed by the Allies have been morally acceptable on the grounds that Hitler was worse? I doubt it.

THe morality of bombing urban areas is not a new argument and has nothing to do with men wearing dresses. It was long debated at the time and retains some of the original concerns. I think bomber command is fairly open about the fact that one of the big reasons for switching from military targets to cities was that they weren't actually capable of hitting the military targets- youcant miss a city.
    Thin end of the wedge though, ain't it. Surely it's only a short step between that, and arguing that if that's the only way we can fight and win, it probably wasn't, and indeed, isn't, worth fighting in the first place and anyone who says different is basically a war criminal?
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    Thin end of the wedge though, ain't it. Surely it's only a short step between that, and arguing that if that's the only way we can fight and win, it probably wasn't, and indeed, isn't, worth fighting in the first place and anyone who says different is basically a war criminal?
    Maybe the notion of moral equivalence isnt terribly appropriate to war. It seems that once you have decided to fight a war it isnt going to help much if you sit around criticising the opposition's tactics.

We all have a go at the Germans (and rightly so) but as I understand it you were far better off being captured by them than the Japanese. Or even the Russians.

Maybe the notion of moral equivalence isnt terribly appropriate to war. It seems that once you have decided to fight a war it isnt going to help much if you sit around criticising the opposition's tactics.

We all have a go at the Germans (and rightly so) but as I understand it you were far better off being captured by them than the Japanese. Or even the Russians.
    All's fair in love and war isn't it??
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

I had a go at the Germans this morning actually. After about seven decades of marriage, this particular one is still claiming that eggs and bacon and baked beans on toast and a few beers is not a healthy breakfast.

One is sometimes forced to wonder if the Allies hearts were really in it
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

I had a go at the Germans this morning actually. After about seven decades of marriage, this particular one is still claiming that eggs and bacon and baked beans on toast and a few beers is not a healthy breakfast.

I have a yearning for spaetzle with mushroom cream sauce. How would you feel about adding cheese to the spaetzle?

Perhaps you took the idea of european integration a touch too far. We agreed to start talking to the Germans again. I am not sure anyone advised going as far as marrying one.

I have witnessed breakfast in Germany. Bread. Lots of bread.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokster View Post
    All's fair in love and war isn't it??
    I have never fought a war but surely it cannot be as cruel, unpredictable and terrifying as a woman.....

Perhaps you took the idea of european integration a touch too far. We agreed to start talking to the Germans again. I am not sure anyone advised going as far as marrying one.

I have witnessed breakfast in Germany. Bread. Lots of bread.
    Also often a surprising amount of fish. I don't mind a little smoked salmon in my scrambled eggs, but your average Kraut is happy to go the full Captain Birdseye at fruhstuckzeit.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Also often a surprising amount of fish. I don't mind a little smoked salmon in my scrambled eggs, but your average Kraut is happy to go the full Captain Birdseye at fruhstuckzeit.
    I recall cheeses. Rubbery, shiny cheeses.