Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
As I understand it, you can refuse to accept a police caution and dare them to take it to the CPS. No such option exists with a verbal warning.
A caution is a criminal record. It effectively requires you to admit guilt to an offence that the police do not think is serious enough to prosecute.

A verbal warning is not this at all anddoes not require you to accept or admit guilt. You do not have to accept it (indeed you definitely should not unless you are clearly guilty) and it is not a criminal record. It would only show up in an enhanced DBS check as a note, notacriminal record. THis is at the discretion of a senior officer and can be appealed.

There are other similar stitch ups you need to be aware of. Community resolution is an innocent bit of paper, signedon the spot with a cheery faced copper. Unfortunately, it carries the legal effect of you having admitted guilt and, like a warning, will appear in an enhanced check.

That copper tried to get me to sign one. I said several times I was not accepting guilt. He acknowledged that and said this doesn't, it is just a community resolution, its nothing. I asked if he was sure- he said again, it doesnt admit guilt, its nothing. I asked a third time and saidI had been advised it admitted guilt, he assured me it didnt. I open my iPad and showed him the formal website of his own police force that explicitly states that it requires and constitutes an admission of guilt. I then told him I wasnt signing this or anything else and would be reporting our conversation to his Sergeant as he had clearly tried to mislead me.

Coppers are raging ****ers.