Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I had scampi and chips yesterday - haven't had scampi and chips for ages

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    I can't remember having such a thing. In the 70s I must have, I suppose. Probably en panier, if you get my meaning.

I tend to avoid cooking monkfish due to that nasty milky discharge.
    Lotte panÚ en panier? Marvellous stuff.

I make it regularly. I also tend to use it in any recipe requiring cod cheeks since they are a bugger to get hold of.

If it's got a milky discharge, you've undercooked it imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Lotte panÚ en panier? Marvellous stuff.

I make it regularly. I also tend to use it in any recipe requiring cod cheeks since they are a bugger to get hold of.

If it's got a milky discharge, you've undercooked it imo.
    That's what God gave cheeks to cods for.

The milky discharge ie exuded in the pan, causing sogginess and preventing the Maillard reaction.

That's what God gave cheeks to cods for.

The milky discharge ie exuded in the pan, causing sogginess and preventing the Maillard reaction.
    Oh, that. I find that is prevented by cutting it and leaving it to drain on kitchen paper for a while before cooking. Also, salting it helps leach out the milkiness.

To be honest, my big problem with monkfish is peeling that f¨cking membrane off first. Pain in the hole, that is.

Oh, that. I find that is prevented by cutting it and leaving it to drain on kitchen paper for a while before cooking. Also, salting it helps leach out the milkiness.

To be honest, my big problem with monkfish is peeling that f¨cking membrane off first. Pain in the hole, that is.
    So. In order to enjoy the lotte panÚ en panier, il faut de-membrane it, cut it, drain it, salt it, panÚ it and deep fry it.

F˙ck all that, I'll stick to the cheeks.

Should come removed.

Back in the 70s 'scampi' was often made with monkfish, such was the unpopularity of the fish.

Tartare sauce is essential.
    Monkfish!

Monkfish.jpg
    'Seems that I was busy doing something close to nothing
    But different than the day before'

'Met a dwarf that was no good, dressed like Little Red Riding Hood'