Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Well that was a more expensive night than I’d bargained for.

Well that was a more expensive night than I’d bargained for.

The Northern Line being ****ed up the shítter meaning I had to get an Uber there and back was bad enough, but then I followed Sir Charlie’s extravagant and frankly beyond my means food & beverage recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    The Northern Line being ****ed up the shítter meaning I had to get an Uber there and back was bad enough, but then I followed Sir Charlie’s extravagant and frankly beyond my means food & beverage recommendations
    Rules? Lord it's been years since I was there. Used to be good but slightly dated cooking, think I preferred the ambiance to the food. When I was there we finished the meal with a cigar. You could in those days.

What did you have and how was it?

Oh well done.

You hated it, didn't you?

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    Rules? Lord it's been years since I was there. Used to be good but slightly dated cooking, think I preferred the ambiance to the food. When I was there we finished the meal with a cigar. You could in those days.

What did you have and how was it?
    Guinness and Champagne cocktail (a silly novelty drink containing two things that should never be combined)

3 Native Oysters

Grouse with game chips, cabbage, bread sauce and redcurrant jelly

Bread and butter pudding with armagnac and prunes

The House Claret

A top, top meal Wichard, although I do wonder about the merits of game. Being a dark meat, grouse is one of the more flavourful but I'm still not sure why you'd ever eat it ahead of beef or pork. It's just not that interesting.

You've just triggered Sir C.

Guinness and Champagne cocktail (a silly novelty drink containing two things that should never be combined)

3 Native Oysters

The House Claret

A top, top meal Wichard, although I do wonder about the merits of game. Being a dark meat, grouse is one of the more flavourful but I'm still not sure why you'd ever eat it ahead of beef or pork. It's just not that interesting.
    Grouse. Good choice, mostly because it's the sort of thing you would never make yourself but is - apparently - delicious if done properly.

Thing with game is that the strong flavor allows you to use the trimmings to make utterly delicious sauces. My pheasant and venison jus are both quite wonderful. But the meat, unless perfectly sourced and perfectly cooked just isn't all that, as you point out. I made venison at the weekend however the butcher had aged it too much and it had a very unpleasant, dry, livery taste which overrode my delicious jus.

I tried grouse just once and didn't get the cooking right. Would have been exactly what I would have ordered at Rules, though. Would have asked them to hold the bread sauce, what with it being utterly heinous.

3 Native Oysters

The House Claret

How many bottles of the claret did you get through?

3 Native Oysters

The House Claret

You didn't enjoy the Black Velvet? You're the most unreconstructed jew, like, evs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    You didn't enjoy the Black Velvet? You're the most unreconstructed jew, like, evs.
    Only ordering three oysters makes me sad. The little chaps must have been lonely.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    How many bottles of the claret did you get through?
    You know, so why ask if not to belittle me?